Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Emerging Talent
chead

too many devices connected to superhub?

Since receiving a replacement superhub I have been having constant issues with both our wireless and wired connections. I have spoken to broadband technical support and have been left with a solution of having to do ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew. 

I do not view this as a long term solution so I have tried to push Virgin Media for a long term solution. Their reply is that I have too many devices connecting to the network. 

The devices we have are:

Desktop PC (wired connection)

Network Drive (wired connection)

2x laptops (wireless)

Epson Printer (wireless)

PS3 (wireless)

2x Android phones (wireless)

The from virgin reply seems strange given that we have been with Virgin for over 6 months and this issue has only started in the last 2 weeks. (about a week after receiving the new router).

We used all the devices at our previous address where we used BT and their homehub so this restriction to 6 devices seems strange.

Can anyone help?

thanks

Chris

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
DJ-Shadow

Re: too many devices connected to superhub?

Hello

There is no way with that many device that you have is too many, I have a lab setup at work which has over 30 printers connected to a wireless router.

They have no idea what they are talking about. After around 25 wireless devices you will started to get drop outs on some wireless devices, the more you have the slower each device will get.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
chead

Thanks Mike.

I said to them it seemed ridiculous in this day and age that it would be limited to 6 devices. The guy even said they are told about this limitation in training. I asked why would they cripple their superhubs in this? All I got was silence.

They suggested that I had IP Flood Detection turned on but when I checked it was turned off. I have been told to change the channel when it happens but I have been through all the channels and it is still happening.

These superhubs have been nothing but trouble only the last two months.

Chris

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
DJ-Shadow

Hello

Yeah I have seen all the messages, thats why I refused to upgrade to 50 meg or beyond, will be waiting a few more months before going down that route, especially when I have my own home built router that does everything I need to do and then some.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
chead

Just thought I would post an update.

After talking to Virgin technical support again I was told it must be a problem with my super hub. A new one arrived two days later. However I am having the same issue with the new sueprhub.

I decided to test what I had been told previously by broadband support that the superhub only allowed six connections at once. After resetting the superhub I then started one new wireless device every 15 minutes. My problems started as soon as I turned on the seventh device, which was a dell laptop. To get it to connect I had to run ipconfig /release and the /renew.

People should be warned about the connectivity issues with the superhub.

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
Paul_B

Hi chead,

We are unaware of this issue. Was the test carried out again with a different seventh device? When you ran a release renew had it already obtained an ip from the router? Was it then able to connect and all seven devices were connected? Do all devices lose connectivity? Would you elaborate on the issue.

Regards.

Paul Buchanan
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
chowa444

I am having same issue with performing release renew every time on internet session goes and have total 8 devices with only 1-4 on any one time.

every session i lose connectivity and is only fixed by release renew this has all clues to virgin superhub is faulty equipment maybe due to recent firmware upgrade of adding in function 'modem only mode'

virgin support have not fixed service is awful!!

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Chris_K

Hi chowa444

Could you start your own thread answering the questions asked by Paul above please?

Regards,

Chris Kean

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
tuffpro

Did this problem ever get solved?????
Can't find the answer on the forum
Let me know
Cheers
Tuffpro
Please use plain text.