Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
iandavies
Helpful Answer

issue with primary DNS server (194.168.4.100)

I have just had virgin broadband installed and I cannot connect wirelessly to the internet - I have connected to the modem by cable at the moment (both IE7 and firefox work in this mode).

the error message says "cannot communicate with primary DNS server (194.168.4.100)"

I can ping to google.co.uk and get a response in command prompt

my work laptop can connect wirelessly. why the difference? I have entered the same WPA2 network key.

I have taken off firewall (norton) with no luck and switched/logged off and on both the modem and pc with no luck

what can I do next?

Thanks

Ian

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
iandavies

Re: issue with primary DNS server (194.168.4.100)

[ Edited ]

just to clarify I have Vista OS if that helps

modem is Netgear VMDG280

will stay on line now if anyone is able to help me out........

cheers

Ian

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
iandavies

I got it working

I updated the driver of the network adapter in Device Manager (via Control Panel)

at last!! and done despite Virgin "support" on 150....

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Lee_G

Hi iandavies

Thanks for the update, hopefully this will help others who may have the same issue.

Regards,

Lee Grant

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
madwayne

[ Edited ]

lol virgen media suport is a joke.

tried to say that the issue was with devices I had connected to the router

tried to tell me I was using it for business

tried to tell me other complete and utter rubbish, I have no faith in virgin media, its about time Richard Branson gave you a kick up the backside.

My service goes down pretty much around the same time every day.

yet support where ever they are tell me its not been down ever.

When I lived around 1 mile away from where I do now I didnt have this problem, so I have the same pc's, and problem the same overall number of devices connected as I did then. I even had the same modem until i resigned up and they sent the super hub.

my router(superhub) works fine wirelessly and hard wired, just the the internet goes, its been like this for 2 years with the old modem and now with the superhub.

we gave up and cancelled and BT messed us around so much, we decided to stay connected when virgen pestered the life out of us to stay.

also they called back my mobile and I didnt give them permission to do so, they have been advised in the past.

1. I want to have a system that works

2. I dont want to be pestered by email, phone or letters (still sending markettinmg letters although I asked them to stop).

3.I dont like being lied to intentionally or otherwise.

Enough whinging we will see if it works over the next week or so, but I have to say I am scetpical

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Kath_F

Hi madwayne, 

I'm sorry to hear you have been having problems with your connection.

Having looked at your account I can see that action has been taken to try and resolve this issue for you and an engineer booked.

If you have any further issues then please give us a call on 151 from a Virgin landline or 0845 454 1111.

Thanks, 

Kath
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
Boffin
martileic

Why would you expect VM support to sort out your own PC problems, its nothing to do with them and outside their area of expertise. Would you expect the highways agency to sort out a problem with your car.

iandavies wrote:

I got it working

I updated the driver of the network adapter in Device Manager (via Control Panel)

at last!! and done despite Virgin "support" on 150....

Please use plain text.