Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
marlow

Wireless signal not quite strong enough. Are there boosters or....??

I live in a house with a built on annexe so the distance from router to my laptop is about 20 yards or something. Connection keeps dropping and I can't usually get more than 3 bars signal. What options do I have for much better connection? Am thinking of getting cable put into my room for tv purposes so would it be possible to run a splitter and connect from that? If so would I need both a whole new modem and router again? Cheers for any help

Please use plain text.
marlow

Re: Wireless signal not quite strong enough. Are there boosters or....??

I take it this a massive problem no one can help with then? Well done virgin

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

well there is other questions to be answered before yours, since questions are answered oldest first, and currently there is a bit of backlog at present.  can you please supply what make and model of router you have. and how many other wireless connections your machine finds.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
marlow

[ Edited ]

It's a Dlink and right now I'm finding 5 other signals all only 1 bar. Before you suggest changin the channels, we have tried getting into the router and can't. On the phone virgin said to reset router and username should then be admin and blank password or admin admin, but none of it works. Cannot get into it. So they said we'll have to send it back but I need constant connection as it's my livelihood, so we need a new one before we can send it back.

Please use plain text.
marlow

Can I do this? Get cable extended to my room, I believe for a cost of around $40? Then I believe it's a further £5 or £10 a month on the subscription for a tv box. Anyway, can I get installer guy to run a splitter and some cable left hanging for me to connect my own modem and router? This will be by far the best option than wireless as I can then connect my pc via cable and laptop via wireless.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

you can get a extra long ethernet cable.. you can pick these up online or pc store. and as for getting a new tv box you would need to speak to customer care via 150 or 0845 454 1111, since if you wanted to have the modem box relocated would cost standard callout charge is £99

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Mollari

Are you on Cable rather than ADSL? If so do you have a seperate Cable modem and router?, then why not just buy another router, one that you can access and perhaps it will have a better signal strength.

Please use plain text.
marlow

Extra long ethernet cable is not an option as it would be a mess and installing that properly would take an age/cost money to have it done. IT would have to go through the dining room, a kitchen and a bathroom!

Not sure what another router would achieve.

I take it there's no kind of booster available?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

you could install your own router that has much strong wireless range, eg removable wireless antenna, you could use something like a small access point but this would need to be wired into the hub. 

or other option you could look at is homeplugs with wireless eg - http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=homeplug+wireless&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
StevenJohnson

Sorry paultechy,

...but isn't this supposed to be a SuperHub?

We shouldn't have to be buying extra equipment to get the best out of it!

Why didn't they come across this 'throughput data' issue whilst testing?

If you ask me, the SHub is a cheap, middle of the range device...

Please use plain text.