Fresh as a Daisy
ed_hj

Re: Wireless N (Netgear VMDG280) router problems?

Hi is there anyone who can help me?

I have a VMDG280 router on the 20Mb/s plan for students. Everything seems to work ok (laptops, phones etc...) apart from the PS3. I have not been able to access online gameplay on the game FIFA 11. Ive tried port forwarding... didnt work, DMZing the PS3... didnt work. EA say my connection seems to time out when I did a UO trace, in fact this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

I have looked over the UO trace that you did for us and I see a lot of unknown hosts in your list, which means that you didn't connect to them, which means that your possibly timing out when you are trying to connect to the servers. There is also a case that one of your pings is over 1200 ms. If you have the router as a DMZ, you may need to contact the ISP provider and make sure they are allowing the ports and or making sure that your router is in a proper DMZ state. You can also find the ports for the game in the back of the manual.

So can anyone help?

thanks

ed

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
robump

So then, is there actually any way to overcome this issue?

Can i request just a modem instead of a router?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
prekayant

help needed now please. I recently upgraded 10meg to 20 meg as i have 2 xboxes running at the same time mostly and it was becoming very laggy. Next problem that although speed is supposed to be 20 its usally around 4meg. So i ring virgin and they tell me i have spyware thats why its slow. I did all that could be done on that. Next day still the same,ring them back and they still tell me its something my end??? but no help! Not to mention with this new n series you cant have 2 xboxes nat open now my sons is strict. Next problem is its now disconecting itself 3 maybe 4 times a day and i'm tired of asking them to sort it out when i should be just sent out someone who knows what they are doing. Please someone help as its driving us madddddddddddddddddddddddddd

need tech support asap.

thanks

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Pete_R

Hi Prekayant,

We're sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing with the hub.

We are aware of some issues with multiple xboxes connecting through the Virgin Hub at present and we are working with netgear towards a resolution for this.

With regards to the intermittent connection, can you advise if the connection only drops wirelessly or also on a wired connection?  If the former, can you confirm if you have tried altering the wireless broadcast channel?

Regards,

Peter Rafferty

Help and Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
prekayant

hello thanks for reply,yes have tried changing channel and no luck. They are all wireless.

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
silvercue

10 meg is more than enough to have to xbox's playing online together.  As indicated it is likely another problem, such as the router, or something intefering with you bandwidth.

I used to have 2 meg connection and have a number of devices running wonderfully well for gaming through it. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
whiteythomson

So now that a few more people have added their problems to this, are Virgin working on a solution?

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
TheOneWithin

Hi Pete_R

Has anything been done to fix the issues with multiple xboxs connecting to the router, or do you have any suggestions as to how we would go about fixing this?

I'm a student running the 20mb "student" internet, & specifically said in store when we were shopping around for broadband that we would have several laptops & multiple xbox 360s running simultaneously - obviously if we cant do this (and were given no prior warning that this may be an issue), we are going to be incredibly hacked off.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have,

Gary

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
waynerooney

Linksys WRT54G  is an excellant router manufactured by Cisco, if anyone out these uses a Linksys WRT54G, they will have NO problems, with the additional useful feature of mac-address cloning.

But that aside I suggest everyone bombards VirginMedia to have their VMDG280 replaced with a D-link.

D-link routers are used by virgin, have they have a good name also.

So get out there and INSIST Virgin replace your router with a D-link( or buy a Linksys WRT54G as a christmas present)

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
whiteythomson

I just spent a fruitless 20 minutes on the phone to the technical support first being told it was my PC (it isn't) then being told it's my browser (it isn't) and then saying it must be the frequency and that was the only thing they could do at their end. 

So who the hell do I speak to to try and get the hub replaced? I don't even want to try and connect my Xbox at the moment since it is struggling enough just having to PC's connected with a few tabs open.

Someone please help...:smileysad:

Please use plain text.