Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
londonkal

Wireless Extender

Hi all,

I've been using my Virgin modem router (connects direct without a set top box) with a WIFI router (Netgear) but the signal strength isn't to good.  Any advice if I am better off adding a new router to the the set top box which is in another room or buying a a wireless extender?

Thanks for the help in advance

Khalid

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
DJ-Shadow

Re: Wireless Extender

Hello

You cannot have another connection via the settop box, as VM only provisions one internet account per address. Internet via set top box is now retired and only people previously on it will remain unless they have problems.

You would have to use a wireless extender to gain better coverage.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

yeah you could get a wireless access point that will help increase the wireless range.. you could take a look at something like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUTT8wdN_VA it does work. 

also top 10 to help with wireless.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
londonkal

Thanks guys :smileyhappy:

Paul - This really increased your signal?? I just watched the video.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

[ Edited ]

yeah i made 1 myself ages ago, but got rid of it and just installed stronger antenna on my router, since the routers made by netgear nearly all of them the wireless antenna cant be removed/changed 

i use this - http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=NE-YAGI14DB&af=50 

and this on my laptop http://www.sourcingmap.com/edup-wireless-usb-adapter-external-antenna-ieee-80211bg-for-laptop-deskto...

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
weechuan

that was a cool youtube video.

I have just installed VMDG280 home hub (netgear cable router). The signal strength is weaker than my old Netgear RangeMax DG834N.

I want to set up my DG834N as a repeater but the VMDG280 adminstrator setup does not seem to have that option. unfortunately the DG843N is a ADSL modem router so I cannot switch them around.

Does any body know of a firmware update to the VMDG 280 (if I am allowed to install) so that I can setup the repeater?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
londonkal

Thanks Paul - Yeah I had a look at my Netgear WGR614 v5 and you can't remove the antenna so I'll have to look at different options.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
londonkal

Hi all,

I finally decided on a new main router the Netgear WNDR3700 as I thought better to go for the one that claims to have the best signal.  Amazingly the signal is worse than my WGR614. 

Yep I feel really gutted now for staying loyal to Netgear.

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
weechuan

Hi, Has anyone found out how to boost the wifi signal of the VMDG280?

In the 192.168.0.1 pages, there is no option to connect another wireless bridge or repeater like most wireless router.

Getting very frustrated as the strength of the wireless signal on the VMDG280 is so much worse then my 4 year old Netgear adsl RangeMax DG834n modem router.

I tried setting up the DG834n as a repeater but realised, VMDG280 does not have any settings to recognise the DG834n as a repeater or bridge. Am I missing something?

Also, although I am subscribed on upto 20mb XL broadband, for the last month, I am only getting about 3-7mbps.

This has been escalated and the new cables cannot be installed into my property untill the broken VM cable duct (smashed by EDF) outside is replaced which could take months!

VM is sending someone from Comex 2000 with a boosting kit which could apparently help.

Will let you know.

Please use plain text.