Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
ScubaSteve

Wireless Connection not working

Hi,

I have returned from my holiday to discover my laptop will no longer connect wirelessly to the Internet. I have a green globe on the router and I have tried to powering down the modem, router and laptop, then restarting them in sequence ( modem- wait for solid ready light, router and then laptop) but I have had no joy so far.

The laptop can find the network and seems to connect( but sometimes it seems it can't see the connection) but it says that there is "no Internet access". I can connect to the 'net using an Ethernet cable from the router to the laptop.

Any help will be appreciated,

ScubaSteve 

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: Wireless Connection not working

hiya scubasteve

well depends on what router you have, i would try and reset the router using the pin hold in the back for ten seconds, this will in course reset all your wireless settings back to factory, and will need to be reconfigured. 

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
ScubaSteve

Sorry, thought I had put the router details in, must have been another message ( I've typed the message several times but the connection drops and I lose them!)

The router is a d-link DIR-615.

I tried the reset button and then powered everything down and back up, reset the connection settings and now it will connect to the router ( much the same as before) but now says I have limited access, ie none at all of any use:-p. Still works if I connect directly to it using the Ethernet cable.

ScubaSteve

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

hiya Scubasteve

when you reset the router, and when you went to wireless connection did it should a connection called dlink unsecured network? and if it did, could you connect it to and get internet access, to find out you could always reset the router again. 

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
ScubaSteve

Reset the router and no, it will not connect to the dlink connection, so therefore no internet. Again. it works when plugged in.

Thanks for your (ongoing) help Paul.

Steve

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

what happens when you try to connect to it, any error messages?

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
ScubaSteve

It says unable to connect to dlink.

It did eventually say that it was a new router and to set it up. I entered the pin from underneath as instructed but it then says the setup was unsuccessful.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Larm

I had this problem and was told to press the F2 AND Fn key together  and hey presto I was connected!!!!!  (Worth a try!!) Good luck.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

hiya scubasteve

hmm thats unusually, so what i would advise do another reset but leave the Ethernet cable attached to your dlink, DONT try and access the wireless connection, maybe even best to disable it 

reset the router using the pin hole for a good ten seconds, wait for the globe light to go green, open your Internet explorer

goto the address bar type 192.168.0.1 press enter/ok 

username: admin 

password: this is left empty  

press login 

on the left hand side choose wireless setup --> manual wireless connection setup. 

on this page a few boxes to alter untick enabled WPS, scroll down to wireless network name SSID 

on this box should say 'dlink' change it a name you've never used before something random 

untick auto channel selection choose number 1

under wireless security choose wpa/wpa2 personal wireless security enhanced, and in the passphrase box that appears enter a new complex password. safe settings wait about a minute disconnect the Ethernet cable, and re-enable your wireless connection and see what happens when you try to connect to that new wireless network name. 

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
eggy

Hi everyone

I am having the exact same problem, I moved back to Virgin on the 30th, had problems straight away with the wireless. I followed the instructions exactly & many many times and nothing, 2 days later after no less than 4 hours on the phone to tech support and around 6 phonecalls, one of these being over 2 hours long and having to be dialed on the o8 number (which I will be billed for off the provider I have just left) as my phone hadn't been set up properly, I am still not connected wirelessly.

I have gone through the same instructions over and over, finally got it sorted lastnight but I needed to move the router afterwards due to the fact that at that point it was the only available socket in the room and being disabled and cant get to the router properly and I needed to be seated.......so It was put in its place and powered back up, connection lost. Back onto tech support again going through everything again to be told by the person trying to help me that it is because of my laptop which is a new Sony Vaio, yet before moving the router when I had a wireless connection both my daughter and her boyfriend had a good connection on their laptops, so how on earth can it be my laptop?

Anyway the call ended with me being told I will be sent another router which will arrive on Monday or Tuesday (I won't hold my breath)and told to connect wirelessly without a secure network as I could get online that way which I am not happy about at all as I rely on my computer to do my banking and shopping which I will not do on a unsecured connection!

I went to bed lastnight, got up this morning, tried to connect to the internet again but it will not connect on the unsecure connection either now and I have had to go wired.

I have followed the Instructions up above but now I can't even get onto the dlink page to try to sort it out from there either, it says theres no connection yet I can get onto this forum.

Now on day 3 of hassle which I will no doubt also be billed for when I am not getting a service I am meant to be getting. Ironically I came back mainly for a better BB service. I am so frustrated with this now that I am ready to tell them to stick their service where the sun don't shine, I am at the end of my tether and wish I hadn't come back to Virgin & I literally feel like banging my head against the wall.

I've set up all my own wireless networks in the past and that includes the one I set up when I was with Virgin prior to switching ISP to the one I just left!!!

Helppppppppppppppp :-/ I've seriously had enough

Please use plain text.