Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Fresh as a Daisy
LindaPaulus

Wireless Connection issues with D-Link DIR-615

Hi,

We have had problems with our wireless connection. We still have connection via the cable, but it seems to be slower some times. The wireless connection has started playing up since January. We have called the support desk and after being on the phone for >2 hrs, the problem still hasn't been solved (even though we followed all the instructions). We seem to be able to connect on the wireless every now and then, but most of the time it is not working. We haven't changed anything or downloaded something new since the time it has stopped working properly. We think there might be a problem with the router which was supplied by Virgin. Could this be the case and what will you be able to do about this problem?

Thank you,

LInda

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
StevenJohnson

Re: Wireless Connection issues with D-Link DIR-615

Hi Linda,

The forum is fully active with complaints of wireless issues, so you are not alone. I've never seen so many complaints in a forum about the same device and issue. VM must be aware that there is a serious problem with the Hub?

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
DRH1210

Hi,

so has the wifi always been an issue or is it only since the 615 was installed??

chances are that the channel your wifi is on is the same as other peoples wifi in your area ( unless you live in a huge detechaed house with no one around you for miles  )

channel sellection oftern sorts out some of the connection issues.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

the link above will take you to a very handy wifi scanner, install this on your laptop and you will be able to see what wifi's are in your area, and more importantly what channels are over used.

I work for Virgin Media, but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Argy

Hi

As DRH1210 has suggested, inSSIDer is a very useful and free tool to use.  More info regarding wifi channels (and showing where the overlaps occur can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

It's interesting that it's just started in January - perhaps a neighbour got a new laptop/wirelss router fro Christmas?

I'm using the DIR615 myself, and found that it was VERY poor connecting to the virgin-supplied N-dongle (so much so that I stopped using the dongle!).  It is also poor at connecting certain Dell laptops and laptops with Atheros chipsets in them.

There are some people with these routers that have used dd-wrt to resolve issues - don't try this if you don't know what you're doing, or want Virgin to give you any support whatsoever - search through old postings should give you an idea what problems were resolved.

But, having said that, there is at least one recent thread on here for someone else with a DIR615 connection issue, and their router is overheating, stopping all connections.  Is this happening to you?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
LindaPaulus

I would appreciate it if Virgin could contact me on this matter.  Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
LindaPaulus

Thanks. I don't think it is overheating as it doesn't feel warm, and I don't know if it stops all connections. How can I find out about the latter?

I think the channel item you refer to should have been sorted out while on the phone before as it was then set to different channels as advised by VM. We don't use a dongle. It has been fine before so i can't have anything to do with the kind of laptop.

I don't know what dd-wrt is.

I believe that the router is no longer working properly. The lights are on/flickering, but it just doesn't give the signal anymore.

Any other tips please? Thank you very much.

Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Argy

Have you tried downloading inssider (obviously you will have to use the cable connection to get on-line) and run that?  If you have, can you see your wireless network broadcasting at all?

During the long helpdesk call, did they get you to reset the router to defaults?

In case they didn't;

To reset the router, locate the reset button (hole) on the rear panel of the router. With it powered on, use a paperclip to hold the button down for 10 seconds.  Release the button and the router will reboot.
Wait for about 30 seconds before trying to connect to the router's webpage (again obviously the laptop will be connected via cable!)
The default IP address is 192.168.0.1, username is admin, no password.

You can then reset the wireless to your settings (if the router is working OK).

In case you need it, here is a link to the DIR-615 user guide. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15192578/D-Link-DIR-615-Manual.pdf

dd-wrt is replacement firmware that operates the router.  It's better/more flexible than the standard firmware, but easier to get wrong, so best to avoid it, if at all unsure.

One thought just occurred to me - (and it is probably a very long shot, and I don't mean to be rude) - but are you certain that your wifi on the laptop is switched on?  With some machines it's easy to turn it off by mistake and be unaware of it! (I know, I've done this myself!)

Start/Control Panel/Network Connections.  Look for the wireless connection and make sure it just says connected or disconnected, not disabled!

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
DRH1210

inssider is a must to be honest, it will tell you how strong your dir615 signal is, this will be a clear indication to the problem and be able to fault find more.

honestly though, the dir615 isnt a great bit of kit, it is under powered signal wise however, i have 3 in my house as they do work well together ( i have 3 to increase the wifi coverage in my house over the 3 floors and garden )

if the router was failing, it would probably either have the wifi on or off, it would be unlikely that if it had fail the strenght would reduce over time.

Please do install inssider and see whats going on with wifi in your area and post back your finding.

I work for Virgin Media, but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Chris_K

Hi LindaPaulus

If you do download a program such as inSSIDer you will be able to find out what the best channel is. It sounds as though you have some channel interference and this will be able to find the best channel for you to use.

Regards,

Chris Kean

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.