Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
philw1985

Why has my wireless not working in one room?

Hi,

A couple of months ago I had the virgin 10Mb broadband installed, and use the virgin media wireless hub to connect to my laptop. I have been able to use the laptop to connect to the Internet in any part of the house until now. All of a sudden the laptop is unable to connect to the Internet when in one of the upstairs rooms that I use for an office (the one room I need it to work in the most) I have had no issues with connectivity in this room in the past and have made no changes to the hub (no new electrical interference) and have tried the usual on/off cycles but no success! Can anyone shed any light as to why this has suddenly happened? And what I can do to rectify the problem?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: Why has my wireless not working in one room?

well best idea would be try and alter the wireless channel to do start this download this - http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider (free wifi program but not supported by virgin media)

install it run it will show all the wireless channels from any other wireless routers in your area, look for a channel from 1 to 11 not being used, or under used. open your internet explorer type in the addresss bar http://192.168.0.1 press enter

Username: admin 

password: changeme

click on wireless settings below basic settings, and change the wireless channel, and press apply.. 

also make sure the hub is the open air, as high as you can make it not next to any other electronic devices like especially TV, cordless phone, baby monitors etc.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
paul-hayward

I had the same problem, I rang virgin media and they suggested changing the channel also(default is 6), They suggested trying 1 or 13. Tried both and no better. I told them I thought the router must be faulty as it worked one minute and not the next(just like yours) they eventually sent me a new router and it worked(albeit a weak signal in one room which  in all fairness was as before).

If you've got an office in the weak room I suggest you use " powerline adapters" for a hardwired solution. I bought a pair of "Comtrend" adapters from Amazon  for about 40 pounds and they work brilliantly(1 get 100Mbps as opposed to 54Mbps on the wireless). They use your ring mains circuit(i believe they use the earth wire), you plug one  in a socket next to your router and one next to your office computer and ethernet cable from router output to 1st adapter then ethernet cable from 2nd power adapter to computer, you can actually add more if neccessary. I use mine on an old computer I've got permanently fixed to the tv and it's great for streaming (used to get a lot of buffering with the wireless connection). Wireless is great for the portability of a laptop but you can't beat hardwire if you have a fixed location. One thing though,if you do decide to use them, try to avoid plugging into an extension lead as each joint weakens the signal, best to plug directly into the wall socket.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
chriseliz

I have the same problem.  My wireless connection worked for 6 months then 2 weeks ago my laptop refused to connect upstairs. This is what has happened so far:-

A VM engineer came out and added splinter boxes to the modem to alter the speed or balance of signal. Then he said a new router was required and to call customer services.

Customer services told me it was nothing to do with them and to call the tech team.

First techie ordered new router which I tried to install but could not get it to work.

Second techie talked me through installation and then advised me to uninstall my Norton anti virus software as that was blocking the signal - according to him this is a known problem.  I did this (thus wasting the £30 that I had paid for the software) but still no connection.  He rebooted the modem too.  He also could not get off the phone fast enough and was talking to someone else throughout our phone call and could not have been less interested.

Third techie talked me through changing the settings on the D-Link router, including changing channels and ethernet cables.

I have unplugged the telephone, moved the router away from the TV and

None of the above have made the slightest difference.  Weirdly my wireless printer, Amazon Kindle and Blackberry all connect in the room where my laptop doesn't.  VM tell me the engineers are not allowed to touch wireless equipment (they installed it!) so I have no idea what to do next.

Any ideas anyone?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
philw1985

Is your laptop a macbook by any chance?

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Ray_M

Hello chriseliz,

Have you recently installed any hardware/software on your laptop since you were last able to connect successfully via wireless? As you state in your post you can connect to the router using other wireless devices so this indicates the router is working fine and the issue is likely to be PC side. Is your router visible in your list of available wireless networks on your laptop? Can you advise what Operating System/Service Pack is is installed on your laptop and also the make/model of the wireless adapter?

Regards,

Ray Miranda

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
ananino

Hello Ray,

I got similar problem as Chriseliz. Wifi on my LP used to work perfectly in each room of the house, but since i've installed Norton Antivirus it only works in my bedroom (where the router is) and nowhere else. However, my mother's LP works ok in the other rooms. I thought is was because of Norton Antivirus and I reinstalled it, but this didn't help. It's already 3 months since then and my LP only gets the signal in my bedroom.  I've got Toshipa LP, Windows 7 Home Premium. My wireless router is Netgear WGR614 and i've got Virgin broadband.

If you can give me any advice regarding this would be highly appreciated!

Many thanks and regards,

Ana

Please use plain text.
Dr. Yes
John_O

Hi Ana,

Can you confirm the manufacturer of the wireless adapter on your laptop? Is it Atheros? If so you may be interested in this (although this specifies Vista it also applies to Windows 7). Can you also advise if you have tried changing the wireless channel?

Regards,

John O

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
richard49

Paul,

I've got the same problem where my wireless reception in one room is drastically different from the room where the modem is in.

Anyway...

I've got a pais of powerline adapters (dLAN) and have connected them up but can't see mush difference.

When you set your's up did you have to make any other adjustments or did you just plug itin and it worked?

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Hoggie

I have started to use the linux live cd to check wifi connections with a few routers. the cd is free and runs just like an OS but doesn't install on your hard drive, it runs from the cd drive.

this has show me that nortans is pain in the backside, and you have to use the nortan removel tool to clean it out.

Windows shuts down the wifi and ethernet card to save power, which will drop your connection if you leave your PC/LP for more than ten min's.

and a lot of laptops power settings are set to balanced by default. when you need high power settings to run your laptop at full power.

but my biggest help that shows its windows and not the virgin equpiment, is linux live cd,its so easy to use.

Just a thought

Phil :smileyhappy:

this post may contain nuts :smileywink:
Please use plain text.