Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
roostaC

Why can't I change the DNS settings on my Superhub?

Dear VM

I have a superhub, yet I cannot change the DNS settings for its DHCP server. I have looked through several of the posts here but have not found any that provide anything approaching a reasonable explanation for this puzzling decision. Can you explain why you have imposed this restriction on your customers?

regards

Tim

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
legacy1

Re: Why can't I change the DNS settings on my Superhub?

If it was a restriction you would be complaining, if you want to change your DNS you can as shown here.
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...
------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: Pingtest, BQM, Speed Test, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
roostaC

The whole point if DHCP is so that you do not have to go to each device and set things like the DNS servers. I have never found a bit of networking kit before which did not allow you to set the DNS servers for DHCP and so I do consider this to be a restriction. Manually setting the DNS servers so it works in one location can just end up causing issues if you ever take that kit to a different location and so is just generally a bad idea. Using the local DHCP environment to set appropriate things such as DNS is a pretty widely accepted best practice.

What I am looking for is an explanation as to why VM decided to impose this restriction and if forcing extra work and effort onto its customers is a company policy or if they just made a foolish decision in this case.

regards

Tim

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Do a search and you will find similar complaints on both BT and Sky's support forums.  It is not just VM.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
roostaC

ravenstar68 wrote:

Do a search and you will find similar complaints on both BT and Sky's support forums.  It is not just VM.

Ravenstar68

Fair enough, but I dont care about them. What I want to know is the reasoning behind the decision. Why did they decide to make all sorts of possible tweaks and changes to things EXCEPT the DNS.

For instance, if I set up a different DHCP server on my network and specify a different recursive DNS, will that be prohibited in the future?

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
legacy1

[ Edited ]

roostaC wrote:

For instance, if I set up a different DHCP server on my network and specify a different recursive DNS, will that be prohibited in the future?

No not if you disable the hub LAN DHCP and have your DHCP in the same LAN IP range and point at the gateway....or just get your own NAT router with the hub in modem mode.

Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: Pingtest, BQM, Speed Test, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
roostaC

I think you are missing the point. I understand how I can work around the issue, I already have. My question is 'Why?' - what led to this decision in the first place? Is it a case of deliberate policy to make it harder than it has to be and if so, why?, or was this just not something they considered a requirement? If the later, then maybe the policy can be reviewed and changed. 

For instance, one reason might be so that VM can monetise NXDOMAIN lookups - if someone types in a domain name and misspells it, they are redirected to a page with a list of sponsored links. Thats fair enough, though I would then like to know how I can provide feedback which might get this policy reviewed with the potential to allow customers the option of changing the hub DCHP server settings. Call it a gesture of good will - after all, I've already worked around the issue and so they are not getting my misspelled lookups anyway. All it has succeded in doing so far is to make me put in extra effort whilst getting annoyed with them as a company.... and of course ranting in this forum ;-)

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

the SH is designed to be a very basic device to make it easyer to support and for non technical users to use. Changing the DNS server requires network knowledge so would not fall into what the SH was designed for. It was given modem mode to allow people that want more to use there own routers.

Its unlikey to change. Many viruses and malware now try and change routers DNS settings. This way that security risk is removed.
Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
legacy1

[ Edited ]

roostaC wrote:

I think you are missing the point. I understand how I can work around the issue, I already have. My question is 'Why?

Its not a work around VM have always offered their DNS to get you going just because they make a modem do NAT does not mean you can change DNS by NAT which NAT is not needed in a modem so it changes nothing and breaks more stuff for what you signed up for you either want a broken TCP/IP to have many devices or one WAN TCP/IP connection for the internet because when the time comes you will want the latter.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

[ Edited ]

It is a basic ISP provided router, like sky and bit offer. 

The settings have been simplified to allow the majority of home users access and change simple settings without getting overwhelmed with options. 

As others have said, this is why Modem Mode was included in the recent firmwares, to allow users that want more complex options and steps to use their own modem and give them access to these more technical options

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Please use plain text.