Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Brainbox
machloop

What's connected to the SuperHub 2

IPs.jpg

I'm still learning about this router buisiness so bear with me.  The picture above shows me what's 'allowed' to connect to my network. I understand that it does not actually show what's connected at the moment [is there a way to see that info ? ].

In fact, three of these items are running at the moment, The House PC, The House-netbook and my internet radio [issued with IP 0.4.

I assume that Eth-Switch means that the first two items are connected by cable and 802.11 are wireless.  IP addresses 4 & 5 are connected wirelessly but only The House PC is plugged in so what can IP 3 be assigned to ? [nothing else has ever been plugged into the S-hub].  

Also, while I'm here, can I add a device name to this list for my Radio as there appears to be no way of doing it from the radio menu .

Mac addresses now hidden - mods can delete the other thread as I can't edit anything on it ???

..............................................................................................................................

connected2.jpg

OK, I know, RTFM

I found the 'connected' page.  From this it appears that something else on my PC is claiming an IP address [so one PC is using two addresses ?].  More digging needed here I feel..

Machloop

I don't work for VM so I understand the concept that 'the customer is king'

www.saynoto0870.com
Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: What's connected to the SuperHub 2

the hub works on DHCP not static IP so the same device might have a different IP address from it previously had. on the PC´s laptop etc you can change the device name by going to device manager and you can change the name from, there this will of course require a reboot. 

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
machloop

paultechy wrote:

the hub works on DHCP not static IP so the same device might have a different IP address from it previously had. on the PC´s laptop etc you can change the device name by going to device manager and you can change the name from, there this will of course require a reboot. 

You can see from the picture that the two items 'wired' to the hub have different mac addresses so I now think one of them must be software based and I'm thinking maybe 'Windows streaming' as that uses the router. [My pc also has a wifi card fitted but it is disabled and would anyway show as a wireless connection].

I have tried looking up the mac addresses on the net but I get weird company names that do not identify even the type of equipment connected [my 'Roberts' internet Radio has a mac address registered to 'Murata Manufacturing']

Machloop

www.saynoto0870.com
Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

i use  http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/ in work to find out who made the device, you´ll notice when entering mac codes into the search a lot of time it will not come up with the makers name of the product, as you found with your radio. since lots of possible different parts from different companies, you can view the mac codes on machines by doing a ipconfig /all from a dos prompt or going to network and sharing and manage/change adpater settings and details.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
machloop

OK, I've found something.  I thought that maybe win7 was claiming an IP address for network streaming but it appears that its actually my DVD burner ! 

I installed Roxio 2011 a while ago and now I have found that my radio offers me a connection to 'Roxio Streamer'. So it looks like this could be my 'hidden' connection.  I have never used this 'streamer' and I can only assume that it tagged itself onto the install when I loaded 'Roxio' but worth remembering that not everything showing as'logged on' to the superhub is actually doing anything. 

So now, I need to find out how much data devices are down/uploading.

Machloop

www.saynoto0870.com
Please use plain text.