Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Fresh as a Daisy
Wenders

WGR614V9 problems!

Hi

I am running two laptops (light usage) from a Netgear WGR614V9 which we purchased from Virgin Media.  In the last month or so the signal strength randomly drops low or drops completely, even when there is only one laptop on.  The only way to reconnect is by switching it off and on again but even then that doesnt always improve the speed.  Up until now everything has always been fine.

I have tried reseting the settings and changing the channel.  I would be really grateful if anyone could offer some help or advice as it is driving me crazy!!:smileymad:

Have I been sold a dud or am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks for any help.

Wenders

x

Please use plain text.
Superuser
griffin

Re: WGR614V9 problems!

You could try downloading a wireless scanner like inSSIDer for Windows or KisMAC for the Mac to take the guesswork out of changing channels as these tools will show you the wireless networks around you.

Did both devices have this problem before or is it just recent?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Wenders

Hi and thank you

I had already downloaded a scanner and set the channel to a completely different one to the two shown.

Both laptops are having the same problem and it is a recent thing.  The desktop computer that is linked by a cable is fine. 

Right now the speed is showing as 24mbps and signal low, theres only me using it.  Earlier today it was fine. sometimes it shows connected and cant load a page.

Wendy

Please use plain text.
Superuser
griffin

What wireless scanner are you using ?

Does it have a graph mode where you can see what channels the other two nearby networks are using and their overlap along with their signal strength relative to your network.

Also are you checking the same time as you are having problems to see if anything new has popped up.

Is there any other sources of wireless interference such as a new chordless phone, baby monitor, security camera etc. ?

Are you using the laptop in the same place as when you were getting full speed?

What wireless adapters are you using?

Have you got any wireless G devices connected to the network as they will bring the network down to wireless G speeds. (22 - 26Mbps)

Have you checked the router's client list to check that there is nothing connected to your network that shouldn't be?

You could try temporarily turning the wireless encryption off to see if that helps, if so, to can then experiment with the different flavours of WPA\WPA2 encryption to see which works best.

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Ray_M

Hi Wenders,

Have any of the suggestions provided by griffin improved your wireless connection?

Regards,

Ray Miranda
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Wenders

Hi Griffin

Okay, I am bit of a novice with all this so please bear with me...

I downloaded inSSIDer 2.0.  When I look at the graph thingy my line stretches from 1 to 5.  Someone elses goes from below the 1 to 3 and some others are showing from 6 to 10 and 9 to 13.  So there is some overlap from 1 to 3.  Does this interfer with my wireless?

We do have two cordless phones plugged in right next to the wireless router but they have been there a while before these problems started 

Not sure what you mean by wireless adapter, is this the thing inside my laptop?  If so it is a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card.

Please could you tell me what g devices are, I did search on google but couldnt figure it out.

Everything looks ok on the client list.

If I change the encription does that mean that someone could connect to my wireless and use it?

The kids have ipod touches and wii's in the house but these problems were still happening when they were away for the week (not sure if you needed to know that!)

Thank you for your help and sorry if I've misunderstood anything you've asked me, if I have please let me know and I will try again.

Thank you

Wendy

Please use plain text.
Superuser
griffin

Firstly I would turn the chordless phones off, if you can find the manuals to see what frequency they are using would be helpful.

It looks like inSSIDer is showing  that the 2.4GHz is fairly congested with networks on channels 1,8 and 11 while it looks like you are on channel 3. It depends on what signal strengths the other networks are showing, ideally your graph should be head and shoulders above the rest so any overlap should be with the weakest channel ( The lowest on the graph)

Wireless 802.11G and Wireless 802.11N are wireless standards, with wireless N superceding wireless G . Wireless G has a theoretical speed of 54Mbps while wireless N has a theoretical speed of 150Mbps or 300Mbps. The Dell 1390 WLAN card looks like it is a wireless G card so you will only get real speeds of 22 to 26 Mbps. Updating the Driver from the Dell site might help.

Any WPA \WPA2 encryption will secure your wireless connection so changing between these should be ok. WEP security has been compromised and is no longer deemed secure.

Please use plain text.
Dr. Yes
John_O

Hi Wendy,

Do you have any update sine griffin's last post? Did you manage to update your wireless adapter drivers?

Regards,

John O

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.