The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
gbjbasdw

Virginmedia (Netgear WNDA3200) USB Wireless Adapter problem **SOLVED**

Firstly let me describe the problem....

I have an Acer netbook ( which does NOT have a DVD/CD drive ) running Windows 7 Starter Editionwhich I occasionally use with the Virginmedia supplied USB WiFi adapter which is actually a Netgear WNDA3200 device.

Around a week ago I inserted the USB adapter as normal but nothing happened - no lights, no entry in the list of adapters when I clicked the signal strength icon at the bottom right of the screen.

When I looked in Device Manager ( Click "Start" , right click "Computer" , choose "Properties" at the bottom of the list then choose "Device Manager" from the top left of the displayed screen ) I saw that there was an entry under DVD/CD-ROM Drives saying "Virtual CD-ROM 0CF320FF USB Device" with a yellow exclamation mark against it. Normally this indicates a driver error so I then searched for the, WHAT I THOUGHT , was an error code of 0CF320FF. There was some stuff on the internet, especially on Virginmedia, that let me up some dead ends.

Let me say at this point - YOU DO NOT NEED TO REINSTALL DRIVERS OR UNINSTALL/REINSTALL SOFTWARE

When I plugged the adapter into another PC running WIndows 7 Ultimate it worked fine. The thing that gave me the clue to solving this problem was the fact that I also saw BRIEFLY the EXACT SAME entry in Device Manager so what I thought was an error code actually WAS NOT !

I tried plugging in a DVD drive I have via an IDE to USB cable. This failed to work as well   

After some digging around I found the following Knowledge Base article from Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 

In the article is tells you how to edit the registry to remove one/two entries that were causing the problem or you can use the "automatic "Fix It" program. I actually used the Windows Vista instructions to manually fix my problem even though I am using WIndows 7 by the way.

I have no idea how this problem arose so I am assuming that it is something to do with a Windows Update being applied to a Windows 7 computer which does not have a DVD/CD-ROM drive attached to it.

Hope this helps others.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Re: Virginmedia (Netgear WNDA3200) USB Wireless Adapter problem **SOLVED**

the dongle initially boots up as a cd drive on first time use so it can install the drivers and software required to make the adaptor work - going forward everytime your PC loads (either with the dongle connected or with you plugging it in thereafter) it should just load up as the adaptor, skipping the cd part. 

I suggest that your uninstall the drivers for the adaptor and then reinstall them as I can see this issue occurring again for you. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
gbjbasdw

It's NOT a driver issue and uninstalling makes absolutely no difference. The problem does NOT reappear - I've had the adapter in and out lots of times and rebooted several times in between. Uninstalling drivers and software just made things 10 times worse.

This happened out of the blue so I hadn't got any drivers damaged or overwritten. Also why would an external CD drive connected to the USB port not work either.

Have a look at my Youtube video showing the fix being diagnosed and fixed if you don't believe me.

Search for "WNDA3200" - it's the first one displayed "Virtual CDROM problem on Nebooks"

I am 100% satisfied that I have a) found a generic problem with virtual CDROM drives and b) found the appropriate fix for it.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Report this to Microsoft then

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Please use plain text.