Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
dd1820
Helpful Answer

Unable to connect to wifi

hi im unable to connect to my wifi threw my laptop when i try to fix the problem it says unable to connect to a hidden network however somedays it will connect suddenly when the laptop has been on a while, also when me or my bf try to connect with our phones they are unable to pick my virgin media signal even when we try to connect them manually, i would be very greatful if someone couldnt help as it is becoming very frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
dd1820

Re: Unable to connect to wifi

hidden network?
Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
dozer167

[ Edited ]

dd1820 wrote:

hi im unable to connect to my wifi threw my laptop when i try to fix the problem it says unable to connect to a hidden network however somedays it will connect suddenly when the laptop has been on a while, also when me or my bf try to connect with our phones they are unable to pick my virgin media signal even when we try to connect them manually, i would be very greatful if someone couldnt help as it is becoming very frustrating.

dd1820,

Do you actually hide your ssid?    What is your wifi card on your laptop?

You could try updating your laptops wifi drivers.  Are they Atheros by any chance?

If so you may find the updated Atheros wifi drivers here:    

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php.

What setup are you using?    Modem? Router? Hub? SuperHub?

If using the SuperHub, are you using it in Modem mode with your own Router?

On the SuperHub you could try dropping the wireless speed down from 300Mbps to 145Mbps, just login to your SuperHub, Default settings are: admin  /  changeme and go to wireless settings.  Your Default wireless login details are on the rear of the SuperHub as: Your wireless setting (Default) SSID,  Passphrase, WPS PIN.   You could also download InSSider and run, which would determine which is the least congested wireless channel to use, as neighbours my also being using the wireless channel that your also using.

If you haven't already done so, you can place your SuperHub (If your using one) in Modem mode, and attach your own router to enable a far more reliable, stable, wireless connection.

Improving your Super Hub's wireless signal

There’s a lot you can do to get the very best wireless range and performance from your Super Hub. This article guides you though how to:

• Speed up your wireless

o Check and change your wireless channel

o Make sure your devices are wireless “N” compatible

o Switch to 5GHz (requires 5GHz compatible devices)

• Improve your wireless range

o Reduce the impact of obstacles & interference

o Experiment with 145Mb/s

• Troubleshoot your connection

Finding a happy home for your Virgin Media Super Hub is really important so that you get the best wireless signal – and our fastest ever wireless broadband. For some tips, take a look at our step-by-step, interactive guide.

Speed up your wireless

Check your wireless channel

A prime cause of wireless slow-down is interference from other wireless networks in your area.

Your Super Hub sends its wireless signal on a set frequency, or channel. So if someone in your area is using the same channel, the signals may interfere with one another and could reduce your wireless performance.

Check our 'How to' video on changing your Super Hub's wireless channel:

How do I set up Modem Mode on my Super Hub?

Enabling modem mode allows you to connect your own wireless router to the Super Hub, effectively turning the Super Hub into a stand alone DOCSIS3 cable modem.

To enable modem mode on your Super Hub

1. Make sure you are connected (wired or wirelessly) to your Super Hub.

2. Open your Internet browser.

3. Log in to your Super Hub's administration interface by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar (not the search bar) of your Internet browser. If you have changed the IP address of your Super Hub, you will need to enter its new address into the address bar instead.

4. Enter your Super Hub's administration username and password. The default details are printed on the back of their Super Hub. If you have changed the default username or password, enter those details instead.

5. Once you've logged in, click Advanced Settings at the bottom of the screen to access the Super Hub's Advanced Settings page.

6. Click Modem Mode on the left-hand menu. If you don't see the Modem Mode option, reboot your Super Hub by disconnecting and reconnecting its power supply, and the new firmware will be downloaded.

7. Click the Enable Modem Mode tick-box.

On the right of this page there are details explaining to how to connect your router to the Super Hub.

9. Click the Apply button. You'll see a confirmation box asking if you want to continue.

10. Click OK.

The Super Hub will reboot into Modem Mode. Once in Modem Mode, the options on the main administration interface are restricted and greyed out, including wireless options.

Note: Once in Modem Mode, the IP address you use to access your Super Hub changes from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1
How can I tell if the Super Hub is in modem mode without logging in to the administration interface?The P2S Button on the front of the Super Hub (the light on the front with the Virgin Media Logo) will be Purple instead of the usual Blue colour.

How do I get the Super Hub back in to Hub mode after its been in Modem Mode?

To find out how to get your Super Hub back into Hub mode, click here.

Hope the info assists you                 Regards dozer167

I do not work for Virgin Media, I'm just another customer. If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the kudos star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer?
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
dd1820

THANK YOU for your help fringers crossed thats it sorted.

Please use plain text.