Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
softscoop

Superhub and DDNS

Hi folks,

Have just setup my superhub, and one problem I've come to straight away - it doesn't seem to support DDNS... or am I being completely blind here?

This is a pretty basic feature these days, even the most cheapest nastiest routers that I've worked with have supported it.

The Remote Management page of the advanced setup even references it:

IP Address to connect to this device

To manage this Super Hub via the Internet, you need its public IP Address, as seen from the Internet. This public IP Address is allocated by your ISP, and is shown here. But if your ISP account uses a Dynamic IP Address, the address can change each time you connect to your ISP. There are 2 solutions to this problem:

• Have your ISP allocate you a Fixed IP address.
  • Use the DDNS (Dynamic DNS) feature so you can connect using a domain name, rather than an IP address.

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Dale_T

Re: Superhub and DDNS

Hi softscoop,

The dynamic DNS setting is always active on the Superhub, however it is not an optional setting.

Kind Regards,

Dale_T

Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
softscoop

So I can't actually input say DynDNS settings?

Please use plain text.
Boffin
C_Weatherhead

DynDNS use to be configurable through telnet (its never been on the web gui) but since R26 firmware telnetting into the SH has been forbidden (for reasons unknown) so as such DynDNS can no longer be configured, but in fairness IP address leases for Virgin last 3+ days so aslong as your SH is on once ever 72 hours or so, you will keep that IP, therefore you can just configure normal DNS.

Or alternatively run something like no-ip on a PC

But to answer your question, yes, the SH is nastier that the nastiest cheapest bit of router you have ever used...

Ironically the router part of the superhub can't even be charged with routing (No RIP/OSPF or Static Routing capability (the options are grayed out))

The worst part of censorship is: █████████ || IPv6 Readyness || IPv6 Speedtest
Give Kudo's to those that help you
VM 100Meg Analogy: "Expect your heart transplant to only work between 1AM and 2PM"
Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
Sololobo

Dale_T wrote:

Hi softscoop,

The dynamic DNS setting is always active on the Superhub, however it is not an optional setting.

DDNS has two contexts which are similiar but have different purposes.

When you state the dynamic DNS setting is always active I take it you are referring to the process which keeps DNS server information up to date. This is Dynamic DNS updating and is often controlled directly by the domain owner.

The second context is when a user is allocated an IP address by an ISP. To be able to access the computer from another location a numeric address is inconvenient to remember, and an address which may change makes connection difficult.

There are a number of  third party providers who use the same protocols as administrators to provide a Dynamic DNS service for end users. These are usually implemented in the user's router, which notices changes to its IP address and automatically sends an update message to the DDNS service provider.

The OP wishes to use DynDNS in this context.

As it's not even possible to change the default DNS servers on the Superhub to Open DNS, Google DNS or Norton DNS etc. there is probably a snowballs chance in hades that DynDNS can be configured either. Unless this will be resolved in another firmware update?

Why not tell the OP to put the Superhub into modem mode and use another router? That seems to be the general advice for many of the issues with this equipment.

--------------------
I used to answer questions, but now I question instead. Guess why.
I'm not paranoid, they are watching.
Kudos: Users giveth and VM taketh away.
Please use plain text.
Boffin
C_Weatherhead

Sololobo wrote:

Dale_T wrote:

Hi softscoop,

Why not tell the OP to put the Superhub into modem mode and use another router? That seems to be the general advice for many of the issues with this equipment.

That is probably the best advice, but the OP was talking about the SH capabilities, so that is what I described, In terms of it ever being included in a Fw update, I see that as unlikely as it would "encourage" users to host "servers/services" on there residential line, which most ISP's seem to think is objectional activity

The worst part of censorship is: █████████ || IPv6 Readyness || IPv6 Speedtest
Give Kudo's to those that help you
VM 100Meg Analogy: "Expect your heart transplant to only work between 1AM and 2PM"
Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
Sololobo

Hi C_Weatherhead,

My post was in reply to the response given by Dale_T to the OP's original question, in which no actual answer was provided.

Dale_T seemed to be unaware of the question actually asked and I was merely trying to clarify the issue.

My post had nothing to do with your answer to the OP which I'm sure is correct, sorry for any confusion.

--------------------
I used to answer questions, but now I question instead. Guess why.
I'm not paranoid, they are watching.
Kudos: Users giveth and VM taketh away.
Please use plain text.
Boffin
RichHW

Hi softscoop,

I just want confirm that C_Weatherhead is correct.

DynDNS is not supported.

Richard
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Hi softscoop

While DynDNS and the like are not supported by the Superhub many of the providers do provide clients for users PCs which pick up the public IP address and update the link that way.

While having the option in the SH would certainly be more elegant it is certainly something to consider.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
firestorm

Your best bet would be to put the hub in modem mode and get a router that supports this feature....

Personally I like draytek routers but they would probably be overkill for most users.

That way you can change settings to hearts content, its how I bypass virgin's dns servers which can be useful for things like netflix...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2516473052.png
XL TV (1TB TiVo, 500Mb TiVo) ✔ 120Mbps BB ✔
Please use plain text.