Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
tuxlover
Helpful Answer

Superhub VMDG480 Settings access problem

Just received this extremely frustrating piece of hardware. Fortunately I tried to access the router configuration before I registered it or I could be well and truly stuffed.

The problem is I could only access the router interface if I set DHCP to Automatic on whatever box I am using to access it, meaning I can't have a static IP on it. and my pc's, all 4 of them, all Linux, are hardwired ethernet with static IP's for a good reason, so I need that, but don't need wireless very often

If I set a static IP on any box and the Gateway and DNS server to '192.168.0.1'  (or what ever the defaut Ip is, as has been the case with every other router I have used) I cant use the web interface for access. I can ping the router interface but that's it.

At least I could???? Now it's just not registering as a device at all on my network!

Using the reset button seems to make it go through a reset, but that and/or powering up, down, blowing my nose in north-westerly wind on a Friday and sacrificing a goat has done nothing to make it show up again in any way shape or form, even on a borrowed windows netbook, wireless or ethernet. And I have changed the patch cable, before anyone asks, just in case. And I have used the correct power supply, blah blah blah!

In my not so small experience, I would say it has just died!

The Virgin modem/router manual supplied is only fit for toilet paper and I can't find the equivalent Netgear router to find any information, so I'm still using my original VMNG300 modem and WNR2000 router which I can at least get documentation for and configure. and it all works very reliably at 100mb; upload is rubbish, but we can't have everything.

The automated phone system is useless for trying to get hold of anyone for anything out of the ordinary. Even bothering to ask for tech help, I will get the standard "Oh it's not windows, or mac?" responses.

A) If nothing else, has anyone got a phone number or even an email address I can contact to get it changed?

B) Does anyone know if I can even use the router IP as a DNS address, or do I have to use the Virgins DNS server addresses with this thing? that would at least explain one problem.

C) Anyone know if it's possible to access the router config from a command line and not have to waste time struggling with trying to access it with the web interface if I ever do get a working one?

D) Does anyone know of a decent cable-modem/router that has a same/better spec that would work and be better than this designed by a student photoshop excercise, hell bent on making something as ergonomically impractical as possible? Awful doesn't describe it!

hoping for some answers

Please use plain text.
Superuser
griffin

Re: Superhub VMDG480 Settings access problem

A) Call us on 150 from your Virgin Media home phone or on 0845 454 1111* from any other phone.

B) AFAIK the hub does not have a DNS server, you can use 194.168.4.100 (Virgin Media), 8.8.8.8 (Google) or anyone of the DNS Servers out there.

C) No telnet access has been disabled for the hub.

D) Modems on the VM have to be supplied by VM, no other modem will work on the network,

Resetting the hub usually solves access problems logging into the hub. I would also check that the browser you are trying to access the hub with does not have a proxy server enabled as this would affect access to the hub.

You can assign static IPs from the advanced settings \ DHCP \ DCHP Reservation page.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
tuxlover

Solved:

The reset button has to held in for a lot longer than the supplied literature suggests. Hold in until the front light turns red/blue, then release, but DO NOT reboot, it will scramble it again. That wasted a whole afternoon

Until I managed this feat it was just an inert lump of plastic. So all else was academic.

IP Address and range of the hub, is different from last Virgin router. Local IP and router ranges must match i.e. 192.168.0.1 on router 192.168.0.2 local machine etc. If as previously 192.168.1.2 on the local machine, the web interface on the will be unreachable with this new hub. My Bad!

Using 150 is such a pain, I do like to keep my blood pressure down and not throw things.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
lucycarmody

I'm trying to connect my HP E-printer to the 'super'hub and I think I need the proxy and port....any idea where I could find this? I am a complete technophobe but, having got this far, don't want to give up!!!

Please use plain text.
Superuser
griffin

Welcome to the forums.

Due to the complexity of wireless and networking it is best to start a new thread with a new problem to keep things simple.

You should not need a proxy to connect to the hub, try leaving the fields blank and check there are no buttons clicked saying use proxy or similar.

If you are still having problems please post back in a new thread stating the model of the printer so you can receive further help, i am sure someone will be glad to help.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
adacom

Tuxlover - why do you want to change from your existing setup - the modem you have people would die for - it has a problem in that it will only do 4 bonded channels whilst the super hub will do 8 and that will be needed in the future [i understand] but you say you are getting the full 100meg through it so its working for you

add to that that the router you have - wired or wireless is streets ahead of the super hub 

i dont understand all you are asking about static ip's - not something that i have got into but if you do need to use the super hub then put it in modem mode and keep your own router - that will be as you are now and should?? give you all you want

Tony
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
tuxlover

Hi Tony,

My Virgin Netgear router was a nice bit of kit, but the new Super Hub (combined modem and router) is the only one supplied now if you get upgraded to 100Mb, it should do 120Mb and we are told you need it for that, I am certainly now getting off the scale readings from some servers with pings I have only dreamed of before.

But the upload speed is pretty poor in comparison, only 5% of the download on average, it's supposed to be 10%. If it doesn't improve soon it will be another phone call! I really need both and would willingly sacrifice half the download speed for more upload speed.

I don't like it's shape and it has taken two days to bludgeon it into working properly. I have to eat my words about 150 and apologise, I eventually had some very patient help from one of the techs and between us managed to get the thing passing some traffic. There is a firmware update that needs doing which helped.

I manually assign fixed IP's because I run various servers that need port forwarding in the router to allow access from outside my network, trying to do that with dynamic addressing is just too complicated. The average user would never have need of any of this, but heavy gamers probably would. It does not act as a DNS pass through though (as the old router did) and as there is no proper documentation with it I don't know if it can be configured that way, so I have to add DNS server addresses to my network config's or no web surfing and no access to the web interface of the Hub.

Hope that explains things.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
tuxlover

Quite why I need to have DNS servers in my local network configs to log into the router interface I don't understand, but right now I have brain fade, so that can wait. It's working.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
adacom

i understand most of that and what you are trying to do - as i understand it you do not need the super hub for 100meg - the modem you have/had will do that - or to be more exact about 92meg - althought there are posts on here from users saying they get the full 100 - its certainly true that when 100 goes to 120 your old modem will not do that and therefor you need the super hub 

as i said [though] the super hub can run in modem mode and you can then add your own router - the main argument for that is two fold 

1 - the wifi on the super hum is dire - although that is not a problem as you dont need it i think 

2 - in full mode the super hub is or is for many not stable - it resets for no reason - that may or may not happen and it may or may not be a problem if it does - but it will default to original settings - that may be a problem to you and i would certainly back up the settings

in modem mode its solid

upload speeds are another matter if you are getting 5meg then i guess you have upgraded from or been doubled to 100 - or maybe you have just joined and the package is 100 down 5 up

10 up may be a while away - you need to talk to VM to know when - i would ring retentions - they should be able to tell you - also if you have doubled from 50 i am not sure that will go to 120 - again retentions will know

retention - 150 from VM phone or 0845 454 1111 [option 1 or 2] then option 5 option 2 - dont worry about the i want to leave messages - uk call centre open 8 'till 8 Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm on Saturday and closed sundays

Tony
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Peter_Li

Hello tuxlover,

Thanks for letting us know that it's somewhat sorted, and thanks for adacom for the help.

As adacom advised, depending on the package you are signed up to, you might only be getting 5meg upload.

Peter L
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.