Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
Stridey

Superhub Dual Band Repeater/Range Extender

In order to boost the wireless signal, I am looking for a Repeater/Range Extender to work with the Superhub on the 5Ghz frequency.

Are there any recommended to work with the Superhub?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: Superhub Dual Band Repeater/Range Extender

best idea rather with issue of possible dual nat, adding access point with wires going everywhere is to enable modem mode on the superhub - if you google virginmedia superhub modem mode..

and get something like EG TP-LINK WR1043ND which is around 40-50 mark this will take over all routing fuctions.. and have better coverage
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Stridey

Would that router work on the 5ghz frequency though?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Reading up on the specs of that device it only appears to support 2.4GHz not 5GHz.  

Out of curiosity, do all your devices support 5GHz.  Remember that the SH only works in one band or the other. It cannot run both at once.

Also 5GHz radio while relatively free of interference has less range then 2.4GHz and also is more likely to be stopped by obstacles.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Stridey

All my devices are 5ghz compliant. I agree the coverage on the 5ghz band is not as good as 2.4ghz however the speed on my superhub is so poor on 2.4 (No matter what channel is selected) that I am forced to use 5ghz.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

i take you´ve already taken a look at - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless/Super-Hub-Wireless-Issues-FAQ/td-p/361803

if you want to go down the route of having your own router, what sort of budget do you have to play with.. since a really really good 5ghz router can easily be 100+
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Stridey

I have tried all the tips from the link.

I would be happy to spend £100 on a decent router if I could be guaranteed that it would make an improvement.

I have been looking at the NETGEAR WN2500RP dual band wireless range extender. I can get one of these for about £65 and surely this would be gaurenteed to boost the signal?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Any router would be better then the SH in it's current state.

You should be aware that if you add a wifi repeater into the network you will slow down the maximum speed of the wifi as the the repeater talks first to say the laptop and then to the SH.  If you can get a router with better coverage without usinf a repeater, it is best to do this.

I had a Wifi access point connected to a friends Xbox360 and even when he wasn't in my connection speed was down to about 40Mb/s

Tim

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Stridey

Thats a fair point.

Any suggestions for a decent router? I have been looking at the ASUS RT-N56U.

Surely Virgin need to look at an alternative for the Superhub as its not fit for purpose.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

All I know about the SH problems at the moment is that they are looking at beta testing r35 software soon, Hoperfully we shall see an improvement but I'm not counting my chickens just yet :smileyhappy:

The Asus looks a nice bit of kit, I'm a fan of Netgear myself although my WNDR3400 only has 100meg ports it can handle 5 and 2.4GHz simultaneously.  I think the WNDR3700 has Gigabit ports.

Please use plain text.