Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
bjking01

Super hub 2 WPA Password / Key

First time here , just registered I am to receive a new super hub 2 router , yes i can change the SSID Name , no problem , and I will change the Admin password to access the router , but is it possible to dictate the WPA Key/password rather than use the one preconfigured and visible on the label underneath , by changing the ssid and wpa key to reflect my current virgin router , this would save me time and effort re connecting serveral devices around the house , plus I pray that I do not have the same nightmare connecting wirelessly to a sky+ HD box due the same day as the router as some other people have in this forum . never paid to much attention ,but i assume my current super hub is WPA any responses would be gratefully received
Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Re: Super hub 2 WPA Password / Key

Yes

You can change the SSID name and the password used to connect to it
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
bjking01

Hi Gary agreed ssid and admin password change no problem , but what of my other question of setting the wireless key to my current WPA in my existing / current router ? regards
Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Yes

The SSID and the password used to connect to the SSID (i.e. the wireless key)
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
bjking01

Hi Gary , ok i will try to change the wireless key once the router has been delivered ,i always assumed you had to input a phrase and press generate key of which you get four , but as you say i will specify the wireless key instead of generating a random wireless key . many thanks
Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Jen_A

[ Edited ]

Hi bjking01,

Welcome to our Forums :smileyhappy:

When you get your Superhub2 you can log in to it  (to alter various settings) by typing 192.168.0.1 into your web browser.

'admin' is the login and the password is 'changeme'.

On the first screen at log-in you can click on 'Wireless network settings'  to change the wireless password  or you can click on 'Advanced settings' and, beneath 'Wireless' you have the option to alter settings for the Primary and Guest networks.

In answer to your last question:

You're referring to WEP which is an old wireless encryption method. And yes, this did require you to input a passphrase which would then generate 4 individual passkeys.

We prefer our customers to use WPA as it's much more secure. But there is still the option to use WEP in Superhub 2 if your pc or laptop is not compatible with WPA.

I don't know if it's possible to select WEP for a single device on a Guest network, whilst setting up WPA on the primary. If you do try this can you let me know please?

Not currently having a test Superhub 2 to hand, I can't check if the WEP passphrase is auto-generated or not. But I do know that in our older Netgear routers you could enter a passphrase of your choice and the keys would then generate.

If not a Google search for 'wep key generator' will yield results.

If you have any further problems or queries let us know. We do have an average response time of 24 hours but our wonderful community members will offer support whilst you wait.

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Jen

Jen_A
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Jen_A wrote:

Hi bjking01,

Welcome to our Forums :smileyhappy:

When you get your Superhub2 you can log in to it  (to alter various settings) by typing 19.168.0.1 into your web browser.

192.168.0.1 :smileywink:

'admin' is the login and the password is 'changeme'.

On the first screen at log-in you can click on 'Wireless network settings'  to change the wireless password  or you can click on 'Advanced settings' and, beneath 'Wireless' you have the option to alter settings for the Primary and Guest networks.

In answer to your last question:

You're referring to WEP which is an old wireless encryption method. And yes, this did require you to input a passphrase which would then generate 4 individual passkeys.

We prefer our customers to use WPA as it's much more secure. But there is still the option to use WEP in Superhub 2 if your pc or laptop is not compatible with WPA.

I don't know if it's possible to select WEP for a single device on a Guest network, whilst setting up WPA on the primary. If you do try this can you let me know please?

Yup - WEP only runs on a guest network and can be used side-by-side a primary using WPA/2

Not currently having a test Superhub 2 to hand, I can't check if the WEP passphrase is auto-generated or not. But I do know that in our older Netgear routers you could enter a passphrase of your choice and the keys would then generate.

I believe they are

If not it's a Google search for 'wep key generator' will yield results.

If you have any further problems or queries let us know. We do have an average response time of 24 hours but our wonderful community members will offer support whilst you wait.

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Jen

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Jen_A

Hi gary_dexter,

Thanks for correcting the typo in my reply.... didn't spot that one. (I've just edited my post accordingly.)

And thanks for clarifying the question regarding WEP on a guest network and WPA on a primary running side-by-side.

Awesome :smileyhappy:

Jen_A
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
Superuser
griffin

WEP will only run if the wireless radio is set to 54Mbps

Please use plain text.