Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
One to Watch
jakerhodes

Router/Adapter Problem

Hi.

I had Virgin Broadband installed today and I've been having some problem going wireless. My internet connection works fine when I am plugged into the modem via an ethernet cable however when I try and go wireless my computer will automatically restart. Once it does this it won't load Windows it just keeps restarting.

After some experimentation I discovered the reason appears to be the connection between the wireless adapter and the router. If I remove the adapter or turn off the router then my computer works fine but if both are on at the same time then my computer just keeps restarting over and over.

The adapter I'm using is the Thompson Speedtouch 121g Wireless 802.11g USB Adapter. Is this simply incompatible with the D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Router I received from Virgin? If so what is a good adapter that is compatible with the router?

Thanks for your help,

Jake Rhodes.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
DJ-Shadow

Re: Router/Adapter Problem

Hello

If the PC keeps restarting with the USB Wireless device plugged you may find that there is a driver issue. You will need to reinstall the drivers for it.

Mike

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jakerhodes

Hi Mike.

I've just given that a try but the situation remains the same. It's as if as soon as the adapter receives a signal from the Virgin router it makes my computer switch off. The adapter still works with my Netgear AOL router though.

I've also tried unplugging my AOL router and cordless phones but that hasn't made any difference either. I think I might have to buy another adapter as all I can think of is a compatibility issue. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good adapter for the Virgin D-Link router?

Please use plain text.
Crafty
50mb

hello

you should have received this won

http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=TechSupport_C&childpagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLTechProduct&cid...

with the D-LINK DIR-615

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jakerhodes

Nope, the guy's handed me a box with a router in but no adapter. I guess I'll have to buy one.

This Virgin installation has turned out to be pretty expensive - £35 for call-out and now £30 for a new adapter. I wouldn't mind the call-out fee but they didn't turn up on either of the days I picked and then the day they gave me was cancelled and put back.

Not a good start. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jakerhodes

Okay latest update. I've now got a new adapter and that has solved the restarting problem. However now when I try and connect to the virgin network it takes about 5 minutes acquiring a network address and then fails.

Any help would be appreciated to solve this issue.

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Ray_M

Hello jakerhodes,

Please advise what make/model of wireless N adapter you purchased. Have you tried resetting the router and then manually configuring the wireless settings via the router configuration page at http://192.168.0.1 (username is admin, no password)?

Regards,

Ray Miranda
Help & Support Forum Team

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jakerhodes

The adapter is the D-Link DWA-140.

How do I reset the router - turn it on and off?

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
jakerhodes

Okay I've reset my router and I actually have a connection that works. How do I now make this connection secure?

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Ray_M

Hello jakerhodes,

There is a hole on the back of the router marked reset. Push a pen into it and hold for 30 seconds to reset the router back to factory defaults. Then connect to the router configuration page via the address I posted earlier and configure the wireless connection manually. Please post back if you need any further assistance with this.

Regards,

Ray Miranda
Help & Support Forum Team

Please use plain text.