Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
Qman

Problem connecting my Kindle to my DLINK DIR-615 router

Hi,

Anybody know of a problem connecting a kindle to a DLINK DIR-615 router (supplied by Virgin)?  I can connect it to my neighbours unsecured Belkin router but I can't rely on him leaving it available when I want it! So, I'd rather get this problem fixed.

I have double/triple checked that the password is correct; (my wife's laptop still connects OK);  I have restarted the Kindle and the Router several times; I have spoken to Amazon but they are out of ideas.

Can anyone help?

Andy

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: Problem connecting my Kindle to my DLINK DIR-615 router

what happens when you try and connect, eg error message, what you've tried already to make sure if your wireless password if you open browser type in

http://192.168.0.1 username admin password left empty

click on wireless settings --> manual wireless setup, if you then scroll to the bottom of the page has network key, that's your wireless password. 

also what security are you using eg wep, wpa, wpa2, with with chiper type tkip/aes, aes only??

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Qman

Hi,

I get - "Unable to connect to Wi-Fi Network" on the Kindle.  On the router I have the following settings -

Wi-Fi protected set up enabled

Wireless network settings -

Enable wireless ticked

Network name  - entered

Auto channel selection enabled

Transmission rate - Best (Automatic)

Security mode - Enable WPA/WPA2

WPA/WPA2 -

Cipher type - Auto (TKIP/AES)

PSK/EAP - PSK

Network Key - agrees with what I entered on the Kindle.

Amazon also asked these questions but I don't know all the answers  -

* Verify that your network can connect to the Internet. If you see this error message, it indicates that you are connected to your Wi-Fi network, but not to the Internet: “Internet Connection Failed.”

* Verify the key/password you enter matches the key/password displayed in your router settings.

* Verify that your Kindle would not exceed a limit of active devices that can be connected to your router simultaneously.

* Verify the Kindle Mac address is not being filtered by your router security settings.

1.  I can connect to the internet

2.  Yes it does.

3.  I don't think I have a limit.

4.  I can't see any Mac addresses on the router so I don't think it's being blocked.  Certainly I've never tried to block any MAC addresses.

Hope this information is helpful,

Andy

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Shiftcontrol

Hi,

We have 2 kindles in the house both of which connect to our DIR 615.

Mine did not initially although it could see my network & the network passcode I inputted was correct.

I then changed the protocol from 802.11 n to 802.11 b/g/n & it worked.

The Kindle is not N draft compatable so its worth a try.My wifes kindle connected as soon as it was switched on out of the box.Also my HTC Desire & iPhone both now connect whereas the wouldn't before.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Qman

Hi

Thanks for the response.  The protocol was already set to n/g/b but I tried g/b just in case - still no joy, I'm afraid.

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Bloater

I have exactly the same problem! (Thank goodness it is not just me!) I have tried all the usual things including going into my router via 'admin' but the Kindle refuses to access my wireless network. Could this be something to do with who the Kindle is registered to? I bought it on my Amazon account for my wife but the Kindle does not give a registered user name. The more I read the more confused I get.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Shiftcontrol

Bloater,

Does your Kindle actually see your network when you go into menu- settings-Wi-Fi Settings?

Both our Kindles are registered to my account so that we can share books, but I don't think that the fact yours is not on your account is the problem.

If you go onto Amazon.co.uk Kindle discussion forum you will see that lots of people are having the same won't connect problems.

Try powering off your router for a couple of mins then power back up,this seems to sovle some peoples problems.

Also when mine failed to connect I went to my local Wetherspoons & connected to The Cloud (free Wi-Fi) just to make sure that the Kindle Wi-Fi was working.

Are you inputting the network passcode correctly? If it contains anything but alpha/numeric characters some folks claim that kindle does not recognise them.

Also is MAC filtering turned off on the router? It is by default but worth a check.

Good Luck

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Bloater

Re: Problem connecting my Kindle to my DLINK DIR-615 router - continued

Right, my wife eventually logged her Kindle on using another wireless network in a cafe. I have just been bought my own Kindle and exactly the same problem remains. I have noticed that the Settings bars at the very top of the screen next to the battery symbol are greyed out. When I search for wi fi networks it finds dlink with all the bars in black which suggests a strong signal. I am concerned that the bars at the very top are all in grey.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
onetimeposter

Hi everyone!

I just helped someone troubleshoot this exact issue on the Dlink DIR-615 with the new version of the kindle.

I tried everything.... and it finally worked after making the SSID of the network (the name of the network) all upper case!

I renamed it from something like Mynetworkname to MYNETWORKNAME and it worked!  Give it a try!

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
onetimeposter

Also, some other settings I tinkered with before this, were to disable chanel chaning (hard code the access point to a single chanel - I chose 10), and I also forced the network down into B-only mode.

but none of those items seemed to work until I changed the network name to all upper case!

Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.