Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Emerging Talent
Jack_Pott

'Poor' wireless signal strength.

Can anyone help me with this problem please.
When I first turn on or log in to my laptop, the wireless signal strength is 'Poor'. But if I go to the Routerlogin webpage and change the Channel, the signal strength goes up to 'Excellent'. but only for that particular session on the laptop. If I log out or shut down, the strength goes back down to 'Poor' again. I have to go back to the Routerlogin page again to change the channel to get the signal back up to 'Excellent'. This happens every time I start up or log in. (Netgear-N 300 Router)
How can I get the signal strength to stay at 'Excellent'?.
Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
cabsandy

Re: 'Poor' wireless signal strength.

Can you see any other wireless signals in your immediate area?-it sounds like you have a neighbour on the same channel, maybe causing interference?

InSSIDer http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider is an app you can download to scan your local area-this will help in choosing a better channel (1-13 usually available)

cheers

cabs

I work for Virgin - but all opinions posted here are my own.
Although I work in a support role within Virgin, I do not form part of any offical support within these forums. All of my posts and opinions are my own.
Please do not PM me with any personal information as I will not be able to respond.
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Jack_Pott

Hello cabsandy,

I can see three or four other wireless signals in my area, some of them have stronger signals than my own!.

I'll download that app. and try it.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
cabsandy

You should have channels 1-13 available to you-these are the non-overlapping one-so if your on 1, move to 7, if your on 7, move to 13, if your on 13, move to 1.Basically, look for a "quiet" channel.

There also may be local interference (microwaves, baby monitors, remote controlled cars etc). As it is an unregulated spectrum, it can be prone to all sorts! This shows it graphically

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Channels_and_international_compatibility

cheers

cabs

I work for Virgin - but all opinions posted here are my own.
Although I work in a support role within Virgin, I do not form part of any offical support within these forums. All of my posts and opinions are my own.
Please do not PM me with any personal information as I will not be able to respond.
Please use plain text.