Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
kidkime

PC can connect to Superhub, but not to the internet...?

Hello,

We had Virgin installed with the SuperHub last week, and so far am very happy with it. We have been connecting to the hub with mobile phones and a laptop all wirelessly, and without problem.

Yesterday I tried to connect our desktop pc (which is upstairs at the opposite end of the house) wirelessly (with a wireless dongle weve been using for years), and I can connect to the hub (when I type in the IP in a browser, I can connect and login, and see the MAC address of the PC connected ok), but when I try and browse the internet (through either IE or Firefox) I get error messages in the browser. When I try and ping (ie www.google.co.uk) I get an error too.

I have reset the modem and restarted the PC and still get the issue.

I cannot connect the PC with an ethernet cable, because of the distance.

Seems other people on here have similar issues, but they have not be resolved.Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
plazma

Re: PC can connect to Superhub, but not to the internet...?

Your issue is likely to be the setting for the wireless adapter your using is set either statically to the same range, but the wrong default gateway and/or has the dns settings manually specified and these are wrong.

Assuming you have windows 7, follow the following guide for the settings for your wirless device.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings

make sure both are set for obtain automatically: 

and try again, if your still having issues post back.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
kidkime

Thanks for the response.

I am using XP Home, and have done this, and now the issue is worse. It now cannot connect to the wireless network at all and just says 'aquiring netword address', and when I try and visit the IP of the modem in the browse, I just get page cannot be displayed.

John

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
plazma

In which case your not getting any dhcp full stop, it only appeared to think its working before as you had the details statically set.

Best thing to do is completely remove the wireless profile from your windows :

http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/t109-removing-an-existing-wireless-profile

If its using the wrong key type that could explain it, the other thing is your wirless device only support the older and greatly insecure wep key and is not able to support wpa.

With windows XP it uses a service called wireless zero, older copies of windows xp were pre wpa (especially aes), however this can normally be gotten around by using the wirless devices (manfucatures) only tool which basically replaces the wireless zero tool/service.

Ive had this before with older realtek wireless cards where the only way to get them to connect to an wpa aes network was to use relteaks own tool.

Regarding windows make sure you have XP Service Pack 3 install, make sure you download the latest drivers from the manufactures website for your wirless adapter.

That said an easier fix than trying to find drivers for an adpater thats probably b or g class is to have a look on ebay or amazon and you will be able to pick up a wirless n adapter with xp support for around £10 or less.

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Jason_G

Hi kidkime,

Can you let us know how you get on with the fix suggested by Plazma above please?
Kind Regards,

Jason G.
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.