Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
One to Watch
graham20066

Old Router and windows 8

I have not long had a new laptop with windows 8 and since i have been using it i keep losing my internet connection. Spent a fair bit of time on the web searching and it may be because my router is old.

It is an NTL model EO8C007. 

Do I need a newer one? if so will virgin send me out a new one free?

My bill is £85 a month with virgin for tv, broadband and land line.

My broadband i keep losing, my home phone hansnt worked for months so that = alot of money each week for tv and to be honest i think i will be better off going back to sky.

I would call customer support but i cannot be bothered to spend the next 1,000 years on the phone going through their stupid script. If anyone dare tells me to up plug my router and plug it back in to reset then god help me i will swing for them.

Ps, forgot to say that the tv somethimes goes all fuzzy too.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Re: Old Router and windows 8

The EO8C007 is not a router but is simply a Modem,

How are you connecting it to the PC? via USB or ethernet port? if ethernet do you have a separate router in between the modem and your PC?

I assume from your comment that the modem has been powered down and back on since you connected it to the W8 machine.  Is this correct?

Can you log in to 192.168.100.1 and post the status page for downstream and upstream power levels.

Depending on the broadband speed you are paying for you may be entitled to a free Superhub.  The VM team can check this for you, be aware that as this is a community forum they may take up to 7 days to respond but lately it has been around 2-4 days.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
graham20066

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my problem.

My modem is connected most times by ethernet cable to a wireless belkin router but have also connected the modem direct to the laptop using ethernet and results are the same.

I have powered down both the power to the modem and the wireless router many times.

I have done a reset on the belkin wireless router, tried to do firmwawe update but got an error message about a checksome error or something like that. 

I have been getting the same results without the wireless router so even if it is an old wireless router the problem must be elsewhere.

As for status page i will look into that but please bare with me on that.

On my bill it gives my broadband package as M.

I have been with virgin for a long time and think that it is time that i start to look at what i get for my £85 a month.

Many thanks,

Graham.

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Kath_F

Hi graham20066,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your new laptop.

Looking at your connection everything is as it should be. Your modem is showing no resets, all power levels are fine and there is no faults in your area that could be causing these issues. 

I'm afraid the option here is to give the Faults team a call for them to go through relevant diagnostics with you. As you have a  non VM router we are unable to see the stats for this so they may ask you to log into it to check settings etc.

You can reach them on 151 (free) from a Virgin Media land line or alternatively 0845 454 1111 (chargeable) from any other line.

Thanks, 

Kath
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
graham20066

151 free from a virgin landline?

DID YOU READ MY FIRST POST.

Waiting on you lot to come and fix it.

I will go elsewhere.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Looks like someone wants something for nothing for free

if nothing's worked for months why have you left it so long?

has an engineer been out to se you?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
graham20066

[ Edited ]

Looks like someone wants something for nothing for free

could you tell me what you mean by that?

The reason i have not delt with it before is 

1. I hate to have to contact customer support because it drives me up the wall.

Every time i have had to deal with them in the past i have been left banging my head against the wall.

2. I got so many junk calls so sometimes i just unpluged it and use my mobile, yes i did add the number to the TPS website but still got a lot of silly calls.

3. I have been busy and i just no that the whole thing will turn into a mightmare.

4. I have been ill and still am.

5. It is being looked at soon.

If from your comment you think i am after a reduction in my bill then you could not be more wrong. Not once did it even cross my mind to ask and to be honest i have better things to do with my time.

Someone wants something (its not working so its nothing) for nothing for free (im paying for it).

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

[ Edited ]

Customer support are the people that can help you. 

if you choose not to speak to them because you have no patience than so be it. 

If its being looked at soon, then why are you pthere's and ranting here?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
graham20066

[ Edited ]

You suggest that in some way i am looking for a hand out from VM.

I came on here looking for help with my broadband and not my phone line which is why my post is here and not in the phone section. 

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

And a VM team member replied to your post and you threw it back at them saying you would go elsewhere. 

I suggest you follow your own suggestion

Please use plain text.