Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
Eugene

New hub installed by virgin now can't connect

Two days ago we had a new router installed by virgin media,  this was not at our request, apparently there was noise on the line. Our windows 7 laptop works fine but my work dell (XP PRO) won't connect. This is frustrating as I need to work at home during the evenings, everything worked fine before now it doesn't. Thanks for that virgin media.

Reading other posts it seems that others are having similar problems. Any advice gratefully received.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Eugene

Re: New hub installed by virgin now can't connect

If anyone's interested, I called the helpline on Friday night and was instructed to disable the security settings. The connection worked while the laptop was plugged into the modem, today I tried to connect again but it would only connect for a few seconds before it dropped out. I called the helpline again to request the old modem back as this used to work. After some time it was ascertained that the Hub is incompatable with the Dell wireless 1395 WLAN mini-card installed in my laptop, I was also told to reinstate the security settings and that disabling them was the wrong thing to do.

They are now sending me a different modem (similar to the original) to use with my wireless router. In the meantime I am unable to connect to the VPN at work so can't work at home over the weekend, this is costing me money.

Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Argy

Would this posting http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless/Atheros-9285-card-amp-Wireless-Connection-issues-possib... help?  I think that the Dell 1395 has similar issues - there are certainly a few entries on the Dell forums suggesting that there are driver issues - and I think the card is only a max of 150MB/s connection available.  I believe that the Dell card is based on a Broadcom card, if that helps?

Posting details copied here as well:

My router was set to 40MHz bandwidth, Channel 13 for best wifi coverage.

Changing the router to CH11  (2nd best option for me) and the laptop connected first time.

Looking at the specs on the Atheros site, this card is only a 150Mb/s card and only runs at 2.4 GHz.

Anyone using this card with the Superhub will need to ensure that the Superhub is using 2.4GHz at ch11 or lower in order to connect.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Eugene

Thanks for your reply, I'll give it a go while I wait for the replacement.

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
Paul_M

Hi Eugene,

Please see the following sticky for help configuring your Super Hub http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless/Super-Hub-Wireless-Issues-FAQ/td-p/361803

Thanks

Paul
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.