Emerging Talent
thisaintnoparty

New Virgin Hub Issues

Hi,

I have just moved into a house after being with Virgin for 3 years I obviously chose those as my providers for the new house.

We have been given the new Hub (modem and router in one), but I am personally having problems with it.

All of my hosuemates are able to connect to the wireless and access the internet as very reasonable speeds, but me.

I use a brand new Macbook Pro which is able to connect to my work, university, parents, grandparents, partner's and partner's parents wireless but my own.

I am able to make a connection to the wireless network, on the odd occasion that I can use the internet it is only for a maximum of five minutes before 'connection time out' or the page simply continues to load, and load, and load and load some more until I have given up after 20 minutes. My computer works perfectly fine when its ethernet'ed into the router.

I also have a music streamer which plays my iTunes music through wireless speakers via the router which works absolutely fine.

I cant understand what to do about this problem as I find it hard to believe its an issue with my laptop and for the fact everyone in my house is able to use it seamlessly.

I have reset, hard reset, used my old router (which works fine - but I want to use the new one as 2 routers is a ridiculous solution), changed settings, changed them back, replicated settings from previous routers and followed online insturction on how to set up routers for dummy's just incase I am missing something.

Please help because its driving me mad that I just cant use the net unless I'm working, in which case I have plenty more important things to do.

Thanks in advance.

David

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
James_G

Re: New Virgin Hub Issues

Hi David,

If everyone else can connect to the Hub and get online with no issues then this would point to something local to your Macbook.

This could be anything from interference to a configuration conflict.

On your Macbook what does it say the signal strength is?

Also if you can see the network but not connect does it give any other error, than the one you posted?

Does this issue occur even when the Macbook is in the same room as the router?

Regards,

James Gilbert

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
BrianEMillar

Astonishing - yet another PC reply to a Apple Mac Issue. It has nothing at all to do with interference or a hardware issue. I paid full price for the installation of my 50 Mbit service - the engineer was 'too busy' to set up my wireless (WiFi) box - saying that "it was all clear how to do it in the cd supplied" ... absolute rubbish.

Firstly - I need this WiFi as you PC people call it for my home network. Nothing in the cd barely resembles "Help" as it is all for PC owners.

Secondly - if you cannot assist a genuine enquiry from a customer - instead using jargon and NO HELPFUL GUIDANCE - then you are not fit for purpose - sorry James_G - your reply is patronising.

Thirdly, Apple instigated 'Airport' way before Gates and his merry men declared to the world they had invented WiFI - RUBBISH.

Finally, there must be someone in the forum support that is Apple savvy - and can give helpful guidance to all Apple computer users instead of using the - must be 'configuration conflict' twaddle.

All Macs come with Airport cards - mine has the latest - (0x14E4 0x8D) Broadcam BCM43xx 1.0 and is a recognised card world wide - used in HK, Australia,  USA etc. It Picks up the D-Link WiFi but is not allowed to access it or configure it. The failure therefore lies squarely with Virgin and their technical support that woefully fall short of giving technical support to Mac users - who are paying for the service AND NOT GETTING IT.

So please instead of patronising genuine queries raised by Mac users - try at least to gain some technical knowledge - on how to assist - rather than give scripted replies.

Brian Millar - thinking seriously of Virgin as a Numpty Organisation

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
jkilmartin

Hi David,

So glad to see someone else has the same problem as me.  I also have been sent this new hub after having no issues with the old one and low and behold it connects to the wireless router but can not get onto the internet.  I have had an engineer round and have had the box replaced and everything else and the biggest joke is that they  tell me I have to use a usb wireless card.  If I have tech support tell me one more time that something is wrong with my mac I will eat it.  It is funny when I plug into the ethernet it works fine.  So way don't virgin do something about it.  Oh no that would be asking too much.  Solution....leave.  Also common logic would be, hang on yes common logic!!!  Why did it work perfectly fine on the old setup for a year on the same computer and now it doesn't???  Answer, something wrong with the new hub.  Looking forward to tech support to come back to me with some clever answer.

Jason

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
matthewleusher

I too have had this issue with the new hub system. I rang Virgin Media and they also told me that there must be an error with my system - yet mysteriously it all worked fine before in every other wireless configuration you would know. I really do agree with this issue of patronising customer service though. Every call I make I have to go through some textbook check of my connection, which doesn't work, for them then to tell me there is an issue.

I have connected the other router from before - it works, so this clearly suggests there is something irregular about the new hub router.

Frustrated, disappointed.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
N_E_R_D

check which encryption type to use. WEP,WPA,WPA2 and check the router is broadcasting TKIP/AES.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
jkilmartin

Dear all & Virgin tech support

I seem to have found a fix though it is not a perfect fix but if you log into your router and change the speed from 300mbs to 54 it seems to work better.  still have the odd dropout but not as frequent.  Oh and by the way tech support I plugged in my old router and guess what????  It worked perfect!!  Do you not think that answers the problem about your new router.  Maybe between yourselves and netgear you could sort it if you still want customers or does my £20 I pay you not enough to warrant a reply.

Jason

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

[ Edited ]

things to remember about 802.11n 

802.11n runs at 5.2ghz

802.11b/g runs at 2.4ghz

with all radio the higher the frequencies the weaker the singal.

2.4ghz will have less speed but better range.

5.2ghz will have better speed but less range.

if you card supports 802.11n it will use that unless you tell it not to. like disabling the 802.11n in the router will always force it on to the 802.11b/g

Please use plain text.
Wizard
N_E_R_D

I think that info is wrong wireless n still runs on 2.4, but you can get dual band that run on both.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
gadje

I am suffering the same issue - with a Netgear Virgin Media Hub which I was sold about a month ago, but only just installed in my new house. I use a MacBook Pro (the penultimate release) and every now and again my connection just drops - "the server does not respond at all" is how GlimmerBlocker puts it. I don't have the issue with any other router/modem that I've connected to.

What the hell is going on?

Please use plain text.