Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
supremeoutcast

New DSL-2640R router won't connect to internet

Hi there,

I'm having trouble connecting to the internet using my D-Link DSL-2640R router and could really use some help.

I ordered a 50mb broadband package which arrived last week. Since I've recently moved into my flat I had Virgin activate my phone line, which happened last Wednesday. After recieving a text message confirming my landline number, I connected the router up to my Advent Windows Vista laptop as the detailed in the instructions.

I entered the username and password as instructed and my laptop says it is connected, but the connection is 'Local Only' and when I click on the internet explorer icon, it simply comes up saying 'page cannot be displayed'. I have tried connecting my laptop to the router via the supplied ethernet cable and that makes no difference. My iPhone and PS3 cannot connect either.

One thing I have noticed is that the DSL light on the front of the router isn't lighting up/blinking even though the instructions say it is supposed to. Could it be that I've been sent a dodgy cable?

It's been almost a week now and after half a dozen calls to customer services, all Virgin have told me so far is that "it should be working" (tell me something I don't know...).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
DJ-Shadow

Re: New DSL-2640R router won't connect to internet

Hello

Yes you will have problems as the router you have is for broadband down your phone line (DSL) , you need a cable router that you should have got for when when you signed up to 50 meg.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
supremeoutcast

So they sent me the wrong router? That would certainly explain why the router pictured in the instruction book is different to the one they sent me...thanks for your help DJ-Shadow.

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Dave_O

Hi supremeoutcast,

I've sent you a PM. If you can provide the requested info, I'll look into this for you.

Thanks.

David Owen
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Dave_O

Hi supremeoutcast,

Having checked your account, I can see that you are subscribed to one of our ADSL (beyond cable) packages, so there's no reason to believe that the router that's been sent to you is the incorrect model. As I and my colleagues on this team deal only with cable broadband issues, I have flagged this to our national (ADSL) broadband team, who will be in touch shortly.

Thanks.

David Owen

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Boffin
Adam_J

Hi supremeoutcast,

Sorry to hear your having trouble with the connection.

It sounds like you are not getting any signal to the router. Could you confirm you have a dial tone please.

Could you also check you have a filter connected to your phone line with the router plugged into it.

Thanks

Kind Regards,

Adam Jones

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.