Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
sianie00

Netwrk Security Key Mismatch - please help!

Hello,

I recently bought a new netbook but can't seem to connect to the wireless network in my house. I keep being asked for the 'network security key' but I don't know what this is.

The router is a D-Link, I have tried admin, 192.168.1.1 and every number/letter combination that is written on the router itself (I connected at a different address and got the connection through typing something that was written on the router)...

Can anyone please help me?!

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
mizzalcaz1

Re: Netwrk Security Key Mismatch - please help!

the addy for the router is 192.168.0.1 user name admin no password and ur logged in to the router.

hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
sianie00

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately it still doesn't work! Is the 192.168.0.1 number the actual security key? The number on my router is 192.168.1.1 but I've tried typing that too.

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your time!

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
mizzalcaz1

is it a dlink or a netgear? if its a white netgear log in is 192.168.1.1 user name is virgin password is password. if its a black netgear same ip addy user name admin     password. is password

i work for vm thats why im asking

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
sianie00

I've managed to work it out!! For anyone that's as technophobic as me and suffering similar problems, I had to type the IP address (192.168.1.1) on a computer already connected to the network and get the security settings from there > wireless settings > pre-shared key (at bottom of page).

Thank you mizzalcaz1 for all your help!

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
mizzalcaz1

tip if u ever need to log into a router its always a direct connection to a lan port on the router and then type the addy in.

or if push comes to shove there is a rest button on the back that wipes all settings on the router and allows u to start again.

netgear black router 192.168.1.1 log in user= name admin. password= password

netgear white reset router and open ie set up page comes up automatically

dlink 192.168.0.1 username = admin   NO password

happy surfing campers

Please use plain text.