Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
Richy59

Netgear Wireless Router and iPhone

I have been with VM for awhile now but I am at the point where I am now fed up with using a router that doesn't do what I need it to. The router works perfectly well when in wired mode and my laptop is usually fine with the wireless although sometimes it struggles to find the network. My big problem is with my iPhone. The iPhone simply will not work properly with the router. If I do a reset then the iPhone will see and use the network in a limited capacity for about a day. By limited I mean I can go on Safari and download apps etc etc but I can't watch videos on youtube. They load a few seconds worth and then refuses to load any further. After about a day from the reset point the network freezes up with the iPhone and I can't connect to the network. It sees it, but it just won't conenct and I can't use any internet on the thing. I have to use my 3G to access internet on my phone when I am in my house. The phone works fine on other networks as I have an old Sky Router that works perfectly well with it as it should do.

I have been making do with this but I am looking to get an iPad and it will be poitless if I have a wireless network that doesn't work with Apple products.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: Netgear Wireless Router and iPhone

hiya richy 

well i would advise altering the channel the router is operating on 

Netgear 

---------

white 

open your browser eg internet explorer goto the address bar type in 192.168.1.1 press enter/go 

username is virgin password is password 

black 

open your browser eg internet explorer goto the address bar type in 192.168.1.1 press enter/go 

username is admin password is password 

goto wireless settings under basic setting the channel might be on 06 change this to 011 apply it, give it a minute to change, disconnect from your wireless conenction reconnect 

dlink 

------

open your browser eg internet explorer goto the address bar type in 192.168.0.1 press enter/go 

username is admin password is this is left empty press login

goto wireless setup --> manual wireless connection setup, untick auto channel selection and choose 011 save settings, give it a minute to change, disconnect from your wireless conenction reconnect 

hope this helps

Paultechy.

virgin media tech/nerd

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Richy59

Thanks Paul, I'll give this a go when I get back.

Please use plain text.
Padawan
muffinmuncher

I too have this issue with a dlink n router. (knowing phone only supports upto g) I actually believe this is a problem within the iphone OS... As all my other wireless device can connect to router at any distance with range. But half the time I have to turn off/on wireless on my iphone, then connection will pickup after its turned back on

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Richy59

Ok, I gave whay has been suggested a try and it worked well, for a lottle while. I switched the channel from Auto to 11 and the wireless was great. It was working as I expected it to. Then this morning I went to check my emails with my phone and the iPhone simply refused to work on the network again. It could see the netowkr and could connect to it, but it wouldn't pick up an IP address. It then reverted to using the 3G of the phone. I turnined this off and only tried using the wireless but it simpyl wouldn't connect saying "Safari coudn't connect to the sever". I tried renewing the lease on the phone and forgetting the netwrok and reconnecting, but nothing worked.

I reset the router this morning and it working fine again, but I'm fully expecting it to not be able to connetc to the network by tomorrow.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Richy59

Can no one help me with this?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

hiya richy59 

i would try and alter the channel again, since it depends on how many routers are using that channel 

i would try and use a non standard channel like 3,5,7,9 i wouldn't go higher than this since you can run into issues with device not able to use the higher frequency band. 

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
SHAHSVP

Hi

I had the same Problem with my Net Gear.

Im guessing you have an IPHONE 4?

Thing is my Wife has an IPHONE 3GS and hers connects fine to the wifi, but my IPHONE 4, Can bearly load up a single page. Somtimes it says cannot connect to server in Safari and somtimes it just takes forever and ever to load a page or even go on youtube.

I changed my channel from 13 to channel 5. So far so Good. Channel 5 seems to be ok at the moment. But i'll have to monitor it for a couple of days to see how it goes. Somtimes by changing the channel even your wifi laptops can start to show poor bandwidth or disconnect. These Virgin routers are not the best. But since we are stuck with them i would advise to test every channel and as you do, make sure you tell your iphone to forget the network and reconnect to the network everytime you change the channel.

TRY Channel 5

Please use plain text.