Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
aakcat
Helpful Answer

Netgear Router Problem

Hi all

Like many others I'm having real problems with wireless constantly dropping out - I have to reset it it several times a day now and in the last few weeks it's been the worst ever.  I have the Virgin National service and my line is with BT (who have checked the line and been really helpful I would add). On phoning Virgin I was more or less told I shouldn't reset it when it goes down and that I should phone them when it happens. No matter how much I explained the different things I have tried I didn't get anywhere.

I asked about a new router and was told they would not supply it because I have had the original one they supplied for 2 and a half years and it is out of warranty! I was a bit taken aback at this because I presumed as it was Virgin's equipment that they would supply a replacement if it was faulty. 

Anyway, my question is, can I just go out and buy any wireless router?  Is it actually a modem/router I need? How would I be able to connect this to Virgin Broadband if I do?  Honestly I think this would be cheaper than constant calls to Virgin

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: Netgear Router Problem

yes you can use any ADSL router, best to get a ADSL2 dual band Modem router, so its all combined into 1.. what router do you have currently, eg make/model? also depends on your budget aswell.. 

ADSL settings for the UK

If you need to check or amend the settings used by your ADSL equipment, this is the information you need to know:

VPI

VCI

Encapsulation mode

PPP over ATM (PPPoA) VC-MUX

Authentication type

CHAP

Recommended MTU

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
aakcat

Thanks for your reply :womanvery-happy:

I have a Netgear ADSL2+ Modem-Router and the model number is DG834g v5.   Budget is fully flexible really and I'm quite happy to go for quality and pay the price. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers again.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

you could try and update the firmware on the router - http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12760

you could take a look at- http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=38

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
aakcat

Cheers for that - I'll try that tonight and source a new router if it doesn't get better :robotvery-happy:

Please use plain text.