Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
kristiqn91
Helpful Answer

Need help with changing IP Address

Hello,
I have recently purchased the super hub VMDG480 from virgin media and was wondering how I can change my IP Address. I have a laptop and I assume I have a NIC. Was reading somewhere that I need to change my MAC addres but have no idea how to do that. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
kristiqn91

Re: Need help with changing IP Address

please help

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

well why you wanting to change your IP adress since the hub will give your machine a IP address of eg 192.168.0.x well x being eg 2,3,4 upwards depending on the devices connected to the hub?

or if you talking about your external IP address eg the IP seen by machines across the internet that's a bit more tricky since there isnt any manual way to alter the ip address. and virginmedia dont give you a new 1 on request. 

are you using the superhub in modem mode? eg - How do I set up Modem Mode on my Super Hub? - Help - Virgin Media with a cable attached direct to your laptop or into your own router??

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
kristiqn91

[ Edited ]

i'm using wireless to connect to the hub so I don't think im using it in modem mode and yes i do mean changing th external IP address

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

you might need to leave your hub off for a few days and you might get a different external IP address, only real way would be to using modem mode, and have your own router attached to the hub, since why do you want a new IP address?

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
kristiqn91

because i was blocked on a website and want to change my ip address in order to get access again. Going to modem mode is not an optionn because my family needs the wireless enabled and I can't switch it off for more than 30 minutes just in case someone needs to use it. Any other suggestions apart from changing the provider?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

there isnt any other ways, have you contacted the site owner to ask for you to be unblocked, since you must have done something major to warrant a ban on your ip range.  since if you switch to another ISP the same thing might happen again and again.. 

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Proxy

I don't see why it is a such a fuzz for Virgin to change the IP address if there is a credible reason for it? In the end of the day it should have been a dynamic IP address! I'm experiencing the same problem of not being able to access certain website purely because users before me (I live in a student's accomodation) have compromised it and websites has blocked the IP address - two years ago! There is no other than to quit Virgin and switch to a different provider.  

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

@proxy - you might able to access the site using a proxy server if you take a look at http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Can-t-connect-to-Gmail-via-Virgin-network-can-connect-on-o... for using proxy server.. 

it also depends on what hardware/modem your using, since getting blocked on a site wouldn't really be a good enough reason to get a new IP address, since isn't virignmedia fault.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Proxy

Thanks for the info on the proxy server, I'll give this a go!

Although it's not Virgin Media's fault the IP address is blocked, if I'm unable to gain access to the websites I want to use I will eventually have no choice but to find a different IP address by having to restart my contract or switch providers.  Surely it would be easier and in Virgin's better interests to retain my long standing customer value and to facilitate an IP address change.

Seems like a flawed plan to block by IP address anyway, since they can be dynamic and change, one person's block would surely affect other innocent parties once the IP address is picked up by someone else.  Also as we're currently running out of IP addresses this could be a growing problem.

Please use plain text.