Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
FrankieT

NEXUS 7 wifi authentication problem

I've just bought a Nexus 7 and when I try to connect to my wifi network I get a "Authentication Problem" error on the nexus.  My laptops and printer work fine on the wifi.  My Nexus wifi has worked fine in at least 3 other different wifi areas.  I have a router and modem.   Can anyone advise me why I'm getting this problem and what I need to do to rectify it?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
plazma

Re: NEXUS 7 wifi authentication problem

Some android phones have had an issue with the superhub, the current beta firmware (being tested shortly) should address this.

No one else has confirmed if this works, but try changing the wireless key type to tkip instead of aes and joining again with the phone, if it works you will need to rejoin the other devices again, if not put it back to aes.

The other solution which is not ideal is to put the superhub into modem mode and use your own router, this is of course more expensive, but will also avoid most of the known issues with the current R36 firmware.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
FrankieT

Thanks for trying but this didn't work. I lost my WiFi to the laptop and its taking a while to fix it.
Please use plain text.
The Sorter
plazma

If you left the key type as tkip you will need to remove the wireless profile from the laptop : http://www.home-network-help.com/delete-wireless-network.html

and rejoin the wirless again.

Im assuming after trying tkip you also removed the wireless profile from the phone, before re trying.

If it doesnt work, you could set the key back to AES and the laptop will work with the existing profile.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
FrankieT

Virgin sent me a new Superhub.  The Nexus 7 connected to it with no trouble at all.  However at the moment my laptops don't connect.  They are running Vista.  If I ever find our why I'll post again.

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Jen_A

Hi FrankieT,

I am sorry about this, but this issue is indeed firmware related.  As already mentioned, the new firmware is due out, after the current testing phase completes successfully that is. 

Please disconnect from the wireless network on the laptops, and then reconnect. A reboot of the hub may be in order too.

Please keep us updated on this. 

Jen_A
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
FrankieT

I removed my AVG software but that made no difference.  I then read somewhere that there was a conflict with the old Virginmedia Wireless Manager (which ran automatically on startup), so I've just removed that and this laptop is now connecting with no problem at all.  I just have another laptop and a printer to sort and I'll give them a go tomorrow.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
FrankieT

I deleted the Virginmedia Wireless Manager from the 2nd laptop and that too connected with no problem afterwards.  Prior to that the signal been on/off about every 7 secs.  Everything now up and running perfectly.

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Amer_Z

Hi FrankieT,

Thanks for the update. Glad all is well. Yes the VM wireless manager did conflict with Windows Wireless Zero configuration. Its very common for many 3rd party wireless managers to do this.

Amer_Z
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Brina

Hello,

I'm new to these boards and apologise if this topic has been raised before.

I recently purchased a Nexus 7 for my wife.  During set up I can't get it to connect to my wifi.

I select my home network and it does its thing for awhile then comes back with a  "Authentication Problem" message.

I have a D-link DIR615 wireless N Home Router if that helps.

If somebody could please help, i've looked on the web for solutions, many explanations out there that to be honest I don't really understand or give a fix to my problem.

If I need to change router settings how do I do it?

If i need a new router, which kind do i need?

Sorry to sound soft, my IT skills are quite limited so simple explainations work best for me.

Cheers

Brina

Please use plain text.