Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
swift77

NETGEAR WNDA3200 wireless 11N Dual Band Adaptor setup

I received my Netgear wireless adapter (WNDA3200) yesterday and have managed to sync up with the Super Hub (I've signed up for a upto 50MB broadband last week). But the light on the adapter intially once set up was 'blue' and had no issues with the connection. But when I restarted my PC, the light on the adapter in now only blinking 'orange' and not getting back to the blue light and hence I'm having issues like slow speed.

Can someone help me with what these colour lights mean and also send some user guidance/manual for this specific device, as I have failed to get any info from the Netgear website.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Chris_K

Re: NETGEAR WNDA3200 wireless 11N Dual Band Adaptor setup

Hi swift77

A blinking orange light should mean that you are transmitting data. Can you elaborate on your speed issues? Are they at certain times of the day? Do they affect specific aspects of use? this thread may help

Regards,

Chris Kean

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

swift77 wrote:

Can someone help me with what these colour lights mean and also send some user guidance/manual for this specific device, as I have failed to get any info from the Netgear website.

The lights mean as follows:

Off
• The wireless USB adapter in not plugged in to the USB port.
• The wireless USB adapter is in power save mode (default from power up or reset).

Slow blinking
• Alternating amber and blue. The wireless USB adapter is scanning for a network.
• Amber. The wireless USB adapter is connecting to a network at 2.4 GHz.
• Blue. The wireless USB adapter is connecting to a network at 5 GHz.

Blinking
The wireless USB adapter is connected to a wireless network, and is sending or receiving data.

Solid
The wireless USB adapter isconnected to a wireless network, but it is not sending or receiving data.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
swift77

Thanks all for the clarification on the adapter config. With regards to the wireless speed issues, I have contacted VM support and they're sending in another engineer tomorrow as I had one over the weekend, but he was unable to resolve this issue.He pointed out that he has seen this kind of issue quite often and blamed the new super hub for this problem. 

In the presence of the VM engineer we ran multiple speedtest for the wireless connection (standing right next to the 'Superhub') and the download speeds averaged between 8-12mbps which was unacceptable for a 50MB connection package. When plugged in via ethernet I got speeds around 48meg. The guy who came along last weekend didnt know the solution and contacted several tech guys and finally left whilst promising to report this issue to his management and come back within 10 days which didnt help me much as a customer, hence I contacted the VM support yesterday and they have re-assigned another engineer visit to try solve the issue.

Being a new customer, with only 11 days into service, I'm now considering cancellation if this issue isn't sorted before 28days.

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Pete_R

Hi Swift77,

Have any engineers you've had attend the property tried a different hub?  If so and all available wireless channels have been tried there is very little else that we can do to resolve the fault as this is going to be due to wireless signal strength or interferance.

Regards,

Peter Rafferty

Help and Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
swift77

The engineer checked my connection and confirmed that my download speeds of 16-25 Mbps was usual as that's the average wireless speed for 50 mb connection, he also recommended me to speed up my laptop hardware, which I have done by formatting my PC and installing Win 7 Ultimate, and also changed the Superhub but I don't see any significant improvement in wireless speeds.  

I have finally put the wireless issues to rest by hard wiring with quality Ethernet cable all the way upstairs and hence I'm able to get avg 45-50mbps.

My personal opinion is, there seems to be an inherent issue with the wireless connection of these new Netgear Super Hubs'

Could anyone confirm whether they are have got wireless speeds higher than 35 Mbps on a 50 mb connection?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
metalgodlee

I have just ordered the same netgear adaptor and have just upgraded to 50 meg broadband with virgin media and recieved a new virgin super hub, I was running a wireless g network and had slow speed issues around 12 meg but was told by the virgin advisor over the phone that a needed a wireless n adaptor to achieve upto 50 meg speeds as wireless g was outdated, I will let you know how I get on this weekend as Im awaiting delivery on the netgear wdna3200 adaptor, however when I plugged an ethernet cable in was getting over 40 meg download speeds.

Regards,

Lee

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
swift77

Thanks Lee, pls keep me posted on your wireless speeds. I have Wireless 802.11 n (draft) on my network card and hence thought the Virgin Dual band adapter would increase the speeds as promised by VM support but was disappointed of the real difference...but lets wait for your feedback..all the best ! 

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Chris_K

Hi swift77

There is always going to be overheads with wreless speed but that is a bit of an extreme drop off. I would advise you to try different channels within the router. You can download programs such as inssider to check for the best channel for your area.

Regards,

Chris Kean

Help & Support Forum Team

Please use plain text.