Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
paull37

My netgear vmdg280

Well ive been a customer for a few years now an dont normally have any problems,had my new virgin media hub come the other day and straight away connected it all up,thought great nice an easy,in my home i currently run a desktop,which is connected via cable and then a cpl of laptops that connect through the wireless.

Now the desktop doesnt suffer any disconection but jesus the laptops are disconecting all over the place,can someone plz give me some advice as what to do,ive got a 2 kids who arent to happy at the internet goin off every few minutes,i never had such problem with my old netgear router....plz help thx

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
kazzaaustin

Re: My netgear vmdg280

I have the same problem so would appreciate a response from someone in the know! We have tried all 'troubleshooting' suggestions on here, connection fine with a cable and was fine on previous virgin modem/wireless router - HELP!!!!

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

hiya paull37

well first would need to install - http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider this will show all wireless connection around your area, and what channel they are on. so would need to set the router to the most un-used channel 

to do this open internet explorer type in 192.168.0.1 

username is on bottom of the router normally username admin password changeme

click on wireless settings below basic settings and change the channel from auto to 1 of the unsed channels press apply and that should help fix the wifi issue.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
kazzaaustin

Thanks tried all of the above, moved the position of the router, changed the channel and updated wireless driver - still cannot connect wirelessly - getting annoyed now...... Tech support had better be ready for me cos i am seriously P****d off.

Thanks for those trying to help on here tho xxxx

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Rose_R

Hi kazzaaustin,

Just to clarify this doesn't occur on a direct connection to the router? Additionally, did you just try one alternative channel or a few different channels?

Regards,

Rose Rafferty

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
lmk
Emerging Talent
lmk

It sounds as like you might be having a similar problem to a lot of people with this new hub. Could you post your problem to my thread collating these problems with the VMDG280?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/VMDG280-Connection-Loading-Issues-po...

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
gvw121

The VMDG280 is a joke! I'm getting exact problems as others under this thread. Wired or wirless gives me **bleep** intermittent signals.  VM need to take this serious otherwise customers like myself will leave for good btw whats happening with this new firmware its a been a few days now.  I'm paying on time living up to my side of the bargain but VM isn't delivering!

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Pete_R

Hi gvw121,

With you advising that this issue occurs on a direct connection could you please, whilst on a direct connection to your modemperform a speedtest from http://www.top10.com and post back with the combined speeds? Additionally could you please post a traceroute to bbc.co.uk?

Regards,

Peter Rafferty

Help and Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Adam17

i know the problem, it's not that other networks in the area are on similar channels and interfering, it's that all the devices are connected to the same channel and interfering with each other. i know this because i had to xboxs connected to live but they both cudnt connect at the same time they would keep kicking the other off. unfortunately there is no way to connect different devices to different channels on the hubto solve this, the only way to solve it is to set up a guest network for the other devices to connect to. BUT the problem with that is the NAT type is CLOSED COMPLETELY which in my case for xbox live is pathetic and useless and is impossible to fix with a guest network. this hub is therefore shoddy and a sorry excuse for internet.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
joew39

I am having exactly the same problem.We have had our router a whole day. i have tried all the available channels but the only way i can get the wireless to work when it dissapears is to physically unplug the router and plug it back in. it will then work for an hour or two tops but with awfull signal unless i sit next to the router. (i can see stronger signal from my next door neighbours virgin broadband than mine when i search anywhere in my house)

The router is hard wired to the pc and that works fine, is just the issue with the wireless.

Has anyone come up with a fix yet?or am i gonna have to go down the route of attempting to get an engineer out to replace it?

My old virgin wireless router that i had around a year ago never played up once!

Please use plain text.