Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Superuser
ravenstar68

Re: Local Area connection cuts out

[ Edited ]

My impression from your topic on wireless detection problems was that you had your own wireless router as well as a superhub but had not yet put the superhub in modem only mode.

Modem only mode was introduced after much complaint from users over problems they were suffering with poor wireless and other problems with the superhubs.

Essentially it turns off all wireless and routing functions of the SH turning it into a modem.

In this mode you need a separate Wireless router.

If you decide to go down this route you need to do the following.

On the list on the left scroll down to the bottom and click modem mode.

Tick the Box and then click apply and the SH will reboot.

Connect your router's internet/WAN port to port 1 of the SH - This is the port closest to the coaxial cable.

connect your Desktop up to one of the routers 4 LAN ports.

Power down the SH and the router, and then turn on the power first to the SH and then the router.

(Note that the above step is an important one to take and should not be missed out).

If you decide that you want to re-enable the SH router functions remember that the access IP will be that of the modem - 192.168.100.1

I run  my own network in this way as I have found problems with both wireless and UPnP functionality of the SH and I currently use a Netgear WNDR3400 as my router.

If you still get network disconnects after this then that would point to a problem with either the VM connection itself or your Ethernet card.

Let us know how you get on.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
jameslacking123

but when I had my old modem with my wireless router it still disconnected randomly but, its not as bad now, so I dont think modem mode will work? I wanna to use this usb adapter but the disc wont go in my cd drive.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

What's the model on the USB adapter?

Please use plain text.
jameslacking123

Wireless LAN USB 2.0 adapter

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

[ Edited ]

Which manufacturer?

should have a model number too

Please use plain text.
jameslacking123

Does'nt say but the model number is BL00120304006529989

Please use plain text.
jameslacking123

[ Edited ]

Why do I need to connect to a Local area connection in the first place, why cant it be the virginmedia one I have for my laptop, I thought local area connection is a last resort.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

[ Edited ]

If you have a fixed computer near to the router/SH a wired connection is always better than wireless..

Wireless is prone to interference from other Wireless networks, also cordless phones/microwaves and many other sources of interference.  Also as the number of wireless users grow then it is going to be harder to find a free channel, this is one of the reasons why Wifi is now using 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz bands

That model number looks like a serial number to me.  Some of the stuff I have uses small CD's but as I have a tray loading drive it's not an issue as normally you just make sure they go in the recess in the centre of the tray.

Please use plain text.
jameslacking123

Ok so I have used the USB and have connected to my wireless network, but will it be slower do you think?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Depends on

a) What lan ports you have

b) The maximum speed of the wireless adapter

c) Whether you have made sure you are using a free channel - don't just rely on auto mode.

If the Wireless adapter is capable of full 300Mb/s speeds and your superhub is configured for this you could probably get up to full 100Mb/s throughput, assuming no interference from neighbouring wifi.

In reality on wifi it may well be better to run the hub in single channel mode - up to 145Mb/s as if there is interference channel bonding does not work well.  This would give speeds of up to 65-70Mb/s - due to the way wifi works.

Most lan cards in modern desktops are either 100Mb/s or Gigabit Cards so depending on the wireless adapter - you would probably see better speeds via ethernet cable.

Please use plain text.