Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
petgor

Kindle

There has been a fair amount of correspondence on the subject of Kindles which suddenly stopped working with the Virgin supplied router.

With my original Netgear router there was no problem.  I typed my password into my Kindle and all was well.  I was then silly enough to upgrade to the 30mb Home Hub - at which point Kindle wouldn't accept my password. I then contacted the Virgin helpline, who made it clear that they could not help as the Hub and the Kindle were no longer compatible, though I could if I wanted, get in touch with a Virgin associated company who, for a fee, could probably solve the problem.

I decided then to contact Amazon, whose technical department proved more than willing to try to help, but without success.  The chap googled the problem and came up with the following answer which he suggested I put to the Virgin helpline:  Amazon provided me with the following ammunition to put to Virgin:

"I am sorry we were not able to get your Kindle connected to the Wi Fi today.

I have done a little research into your router and have found that it is an N-type router.

This router type is not currently supported by Kindle. It is however possible to set many N type Routers to be backwards with compatible with B or G type networks. (B and G are supported by Kindle)

If you wish to connect your Kindle I advise you to contact your network administrator or Internet Service Provider to assist you with this. I strongly urge you not to change any settings on your router unless directed to by either your ISP or network admin."

I wrote to Virgin and spoke to their helpline, but as before nothing.

I admit to being more than a little annoyed because the original router was up to the [Kindle] job, but this one isn't.

Does anybody have any ideas because my local friends are tiring of my presence and that of my Kindle.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Re: Kindle

petgor wrote:

I admit to being more than a little annoyed because the original router was up to the [Kindle] job, but this one isn't.

Does anybody have any ideas because my local friends are tiring of my presence and that of my Kindle.

Not sure what they are on about. The SuperHub works on G and N standards at the same time by default, so there should be no reason it won't connect.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
markmcg

Hi,

I connected my wife's Kindle to Superhub by changing a few settings...

Goto 'Advanced Settings', once logged into superhub & under 'Setup' - 'Wireless settings', change the 802.11 mode to 54g ,and the band to 2.4Ghz.

May need to change a few channels to get one that is free from interference.. Don't forget to 'Apply' the changes..:smileyhappy:

HTH

Mark

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
petgor

Markmcg offers me a solution, for which I am grateful, so why does VIrgin tell me that they have no answer and cannot help me?  This is both the UK and the Indian Call Centre end.

Who please, can  contact at Virgin as I am reluctant to alter settings without being guided [real time]  by an expert?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
petgor

Many thanks for your advice, which differs from Virgin, who seem totally disinterested and who tell me that it cannot be done.  I am reluctant to alter 'settings' based upon my very limited technical ability. 

I am hoping that the post before yours can point me to where in the Virgin machine I can find someone to help.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

petgor wrote:

Markmcg offers me a solution, for which I am grateful, so why does VIrgin tell me that they have no answer and cannot help me?  This is both the UK and the Indian Call Centre end.

Who please, can  contact at Virgin as I am reluctant to alter settings without being guided [real time]  by an expert?

I'm not sure how changing the SuperHub to 54g will actually solve the issue, as will then likely stop you getting the full speed from your 30Mbit broaband service (due to wirless drop off), and as I said before the SuperHub is set by default to be both Wireless G and Wireless N at the same time and on 2.4GHz.

However if you do want to try it, instructions on where to go to do so are on the Help site:

How do I change the Virgin Media Super Hub's wireless channel/frequency?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
petgor

I think that the advice of Kindle is the best advice.  If my ISP is unable or unwilling to help by working through changing the settings with me, then I would be an idiot to try it myself.

Many thanks Virgin.  Now might be the time to change ISP!

Please use plain text.