Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Bright Spark
joinerjohn

Internet connection intermittently dropping

Hi All, I have a Netgear WGR614 router (supplied by VM) 

Both computers are connected via ethernet cables to the router and wireless settings have been turned off for security. 

My computer intermittently loses connection with the router. The Virgin Wireless Manager app comes up saying "There is a problem with your connection to the router."

I click the red cross on the app then get the renewing IP Address bit but nothing happens. I have to turn off my PC and wait a few minutes before turning it back on. This usually clears the problem , until it happens again. 

Any ideas peeps??

Cheers JJ

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: Internet connection intermittently dropping

it sounds like the DCHP lease problem, to check this if you goto start --> control panel. check on network connections (networking and sharing centre) depends on windows version 

for vista click on manage network connection 

double click on the local area connection and choose details it will say lease obtained lease expires 

can you post the times 

for xp double click on the local area conection choose support details it will say lease obtained lease expires can you post the times 

for windows 7 

click on change adapter settings choose details it will say lease obtained lease expires can you post the times 

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
joinerjohn

Cheers Paul here are the details at the moment

Lease obtained 17/08/2010,12.59.55

Lease expires 18/08/2010,12.59.55

Already this afternoon the internet connection dropped again, The VM wireless manager came up with the red cross on between computer and router. Clicked it and then all I get is the renewing network address message on network conns forever until I shut the comp down then restart. 

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

hiya

just wondering do you also have this same issue on the other machine?

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
joinerjohn

The other computer connected never loses the connection. I have checked the ethernet cable and all seems to be in order. When it does lose the connection I have tried to log on to the router but the computer can't find it. However, restarting the computer fixes this and re-establishes connectivity. 

I had a new motherboard put into my comp about 3 months ago and even before this I had this problem. Might buy a new ethernet cable and see if it stops this annoying problem. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Pete_R

Hi Jonnerjohn,

if you're being assigned a 192 IP address by the router, you could try specifying an IP address negating the expiry of the lease.  You can do this by highlighting TCP/IP Version 4 in the network connection properties window and clicking properties.

We would recommend setting a unique address (so don't use 192.168.0.1 or the IP that your other PC has).

Regards,

Peter Rafferty

Help and Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
joinerjohn

Thanks for that Peter, Unfortunately, I wouldn't have a clue how to do that and would be hesitant to change anything just in case I lose the internet altogether. 

Fortunately , it has been behaving itself for the last 2 days. 

Please use plain text.