Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Making Waves
winegums

How many devices connected to wi-fi is too many?

Hi all,

Bit of a long explanation but here goes:- I have a home office which is an extension on my house.  The house is 3-storey and the VM Superhub worked fine when it was sat in the lounge.  Now it has been moved into the extension the engineer says the signal isn't very good due to it being on the other side of an outside wall.  His solution was to connect the Superhub to a Netgear modem my son wasn't using in his bedroom by way of a cable from the Superhub through the wall of the extension, up the side of the house and through the wall into my sons bedroom wall.  (Sorry, Im not technical minded).  He also changed to TV wiring from a 6--wire splitter to two 3 wire splitters (whatever that means) and fitted a signal booster to the TV to get rid of 'blocking' issues.  He also changed the settings on my iphone and ipad so that they would automatically connect to the nearest modem, whether upstairs or downstairs without me having to keep putting the password for each one in.

No change.

Another engineer calls and changes back to the 6 wire splitter as he says that was silly! and says the reason why the wi-fi is running so slow is because we have too many pieces of equipment trying to connect to it.  There are 6 of us in the house.  We all have iphones and ipads, plus I have my desktop and my daughter uses a laptop for Uni.

Is this too many devices to run on the Suerhub and other modem - bearing in mind it's very rare we are all in the house at the same time and we can't all be using our iphones at the same time as ipads.  The maximum number of pieces of equipment connected at any one time would be 6.

I have even tried putting the superhub back in the lounge but that doesn't work anymore either.  I contacted the online chat and after talking for a long while, he suggested I contact the online chat technicians!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
griffin

Re: How many devices connected to wi-fi is too many?

If the network was fine before the hub was moved shows that the hub can handle the 6 devices connected to it, so I would take the second tech with a pinch of salt.

First of all I would check the hub's power levels by using http://192.168.0.1  and by clicking the router status icon in the top right hand corner without logging in. Your Downstream power should be ideally  between -3dBmv and +7dBmv with a SNR of >35dB. the Upstream power should ideally be between 35dBmv and 50dBmv. It might be worth checking the Log for any recent errors.

I would then check your connection by connecting directly to the hub by ethernet cable and doing a speed test from www.speedtest.net.

If everything checks out it looks like the problem lies with the wireless.

I would check that your old Netgear in your son's bedroom is turned off.

You could start by setting the hub's wireless mode to 145Mbps or 54Mbps if you have any wireless G devices connected

You could then try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as chordless phones, baby monitors, a\v streaming devices etc.

Please use plain text.