Wizard
Jon-S

HOW TO UPDATE YOUR WIRELESS ADAPTER DRIVERS FOR CONNECTIVITY ISSUES.

[ Edited ]

It has to come to light that some customers are experiencing wireless connectivity issues with the Virgin Media Hub when attempting to connect via Windows based laptops with certain wireless LAN cards installed.

It is good practice to make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your computer in order to ensure that the problem does not lie with 'your' equiptment.

A 'Driver' is basically a small piece of software that instructs Windows (your operating system) on how to correctly operate your wireless device.

If you cannot connect via wireless and believe you have followed all appropriate set up instructions correctly then please follow the below instructions to update your WiFi drivers.

1. Turn off your computers wireless connection. This is sometimes done by a small switch on your machine or by pressing a combination of keys on your keyboard.

2. Connect your computer to your Virgin Hub by an Ethernet cable to any of the free ports on the back of your hub.

3. Wait a couple of minutes for you machine to recognise the wired connection and follow the instructions on any pop up windows to get online.

4. Ensure you have a working internet connection via opening your internet browser and trying a few random websites.

5. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.‌ Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

6. In Device Manager, locate the wireless adapter. It will be under Network Adapters. You may need to click on the small + sign in order to open up the options. It will be called something like "Wifi adapter, Wireless ethernet, Wireless LAN" you should know it when you see it. Then double-click that device name.

device manager.jpg

7. Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver and follow the on screen instructions to choose update automatically. The wizard will search online for the latest software.

8. Once complete you may need to restart your computer. You will be prompted if this is the case.

9. Disconnect the ethernet cable to the router and re-enable your wireless capability.

10. Attempt to connect via wireless to the hub once more.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
ktfloyd

Re: HOW TO UPDATE YOUR WIRELESS ADAPTER DRIVERS FOR CONNECTIVITY ISSUES.

Hi

I have done all of this with one of VM advisors last night and still have the same problem, called back today and got told it was an error at my side!!! I have had enough no one I have spoken to over the last fortnight thought to tell me that they knew there was a problem with then netgear hub all have said its my error not theirs..  Dont think I will be a customer much longer I'm not going to pay for a service which certainly isnt being provided.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
webster

ktfloyd.. try this

right I have solved my issue I have same virgin hub and atheros ar5007eg. if you ask windows to download new driver it says you have it... try this (http first!) i hope it works for you.

My driver, which windows said was uptodate was wrong it was from 2007, you need a much more up to date one... download the latest driver for Atheros AR5007EG for Vista from here:
 ://www.atheros.cz/download.php?a...007EG&system=3

once I did this the wireless works fine... if only tech support who are qualified and experienced could have suggested this!

Good luck

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
1620mc

Hi, I have the same problem with my sons laptop, not connecting to the superhub.  I've tried all the above, and have also tried to download the driver you have suggested, but its asking for a licence key & then states I have to pay for this in dollars?? am I doing something wrong.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
cwmavon

Hi all,

I agree with Webster, the site he recommended is where you will get the drivers for the atheros adapter, that is of course you have an atheros installed.

If you let windows search online for the most up to date drivers it won't install the above mentioned.

Trouble is at the moment the site is down unfortunately.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
cwmavon

Hi all again,

You may want to try this site, http://descargardrivers.blogspot.com/2010/11/atheros-770523-nov-2010.html it seems as if they have the same drivers.

Scroll down until you see this vista-7.7.0.498-whql.zip

while we all try and help each other please take whatever steps you deem necessary to protect your PC and equipment.:smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Frankieboy

I tried the suggested links but unfortunately they were not available but I managed to find the following:

http://www.driversforfree.com/Drivers/42aae821-4ebe-4dcc-a83d-c9b424e07d1f.aspx

It required a sign up but it was free and I was able to download the driver and finally I have a working internet connection.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Asra_B

Finally a solution, after two hours of arguing with customer services/tech team, who assured me the only way to fix this was to spend THIRTY QUID on a usb adapter...ridiculous. why didn't they know to suggest this??? Thank you sooo much:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Crafty
D3an

webster wrote:

ktfloyd.. try this

right I have solved my issue I have same virgin hub and atheros ar5007eg. if you ask windows to download new driver it says you have it... try this (http first!) i hope it works for you.

My driver, which windows said was uptodate was wrong it was from 2007, you need a much more up to date one... download the latest driver for Atheros AR5007EG for Vista from here:
 ://www.atheros.cz/download.php?a...007EG&system=3

once I did this the wireless works fine... if only tech support who are qualified and experienced could have suggested this!

Good luck

Many thanks for this been trying to sort mine for a couple of days and this solution worked many thanks again

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
maria_fernandez

[ Edited ]

Thanks Frankiboy,

That solution worked...

Please use plain text.