Settled in nicely II
tbennett300
Helpful Answer

Extending SuperHub Range

Hi

I recently got the Virgin Superhub installed with the intention of using wireless-N. Unfortunately the signal isn't that great in the places around the house where I need to use my laptop, so I'm wondering if there's any products out there - preferabky Netgear, given that the superhub is a netgear route - that can be used to meet this need? I wan't to be able to extend the range using some device, but still connect to that extending device using wireless, not a wired connection.

To give you an idea of what I'm after, let me tell you what set up  I've got and how I achieved this previously...

My broadband connection comes into my garage. The reason for this is that I've had to move computer locations around the house in previous places where I've lived, so rather than relocating the connection point, I just got it going into my garage and connected a Netgear WG602v3 access point/bridge. In my living room I've got another WG602v2, and this acts as a bridge to the wg602 in the garage, but also as an access point, so it's effectively boosting the signal it receives and advertises as a wireless network acccess point for me. I was looking to see whether there was an extender that could do this with the superhub, so it could connect to the superhub over wireless, boost the signal, and also allow me to connect to the extender as an access point?

I've seen some devices (Netgear WNHDE111 for example) but it appears I would have to connect to teh extender via an ethernet cable. That's not what I need.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
tbennett300

Re: Extending SuperHub Range

Been looking around some more and have seen a post on these forums relating to the use of a Tenda Wireless-N150 used in bridge mode as an extender. Does anyone know whether it's possible to use this to extend the superhub range without me having to use an ethernet cable to connect my laptop, or would I effectly need to get two of these, turn off the superhub wireless, and use two in bridging mode like I'm currently doing with the WG602v3 units?

Here's the Tenda

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169923

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
tbennett300

Please use plain text.
Tech Wizard I
DJ-Shadow

Hello

Currently the Superhub doesnt support bridging under wireless, the only way to bridge the Superhub is using a wired solution.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
tbennett300

Thanks Mike

Thats a shame. Looks like I'll have to search for a similar solution to that which I'm using at the moment, but for wireless-n instead, and disable wireless on the superhub.

In my haste, however, I ordered the Sitecom extender I mentioned above, prior to seeing your post,  because it got pretty good reviews and most people said that it just picked up and connected to their existing wireless. I'll see how that goes - as you say though it's not looking like it will work. If I get lucky and it does, however, I'll let this forum know.

Thanks for your assistance.

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
tbennett300

Just to update on this as promised, I have received the Sitecom WL-330 and it works a treat with the superhub. It extends the wireless-n network and acts as a wireless access point. It appears as a separate network in the wireless list, but it is actually connecting through to the superhub.

Coupld of things to note however:

1. It doesn't operate in the 5ghz range, it only offers wireless-n in the 2.4ghz range

2. Even though the device is labelled up with the mac address, and when checking from a command prompt on my laptop using arp -a the mac listed there matches the label, it's not right (or it doesn't work at least). I have mac filtering enabled at the superhub. If I add the mac from the label to the allowed list on the superhub I can't connect the extender, but if I increment the last character in the mac by 1 (so 'a' would become 'b', '1' would become '2' etc) then it works. I got this little snippet from the reviews on Amazon, and having tested it several times, I've found it to be true.

Hope this information is of use to someone else.

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
tbennett300

Just one more point to add to this. Even though the extender worked, I was getting patchy connections (wireless connection dropped, sometimes I couldn't connect even with a 4 bar signal). I found that dropping the max speed down from 'up to 300mbps' to 'up to 145mbps' worked like a charm. Not had a dropout since and the sitecom extender works perfectly.

Please use plain text.
Just joined
Nik_2213

Sorry, which unit's 'max speed' did you drop to get a reliable link ??

I've got a WL 330 which I've been unable to configure to work with either a Sitecom or D-Link wireless router (on 'Surfboard'), or the new Netgear superhub.

Although I didn't use the facility, that Sitecom router had a 'Quality of Service' option, which would be handy when my Norton's {Spit !} decides to download another 'crucial' update to this browser PC in the middle of family laptop's WiFi iPlayer session.

I can't seem to find such a tool in the superhub...

Please use plain text.
Just joined
Nik_2213

Well, I don't know what I did different this time, but my WL-330 'extender' almost worked...

After spending several hours trying to get the spare VM D-Link DIR-615 to act as a bridge, I googled something which suggested 'bridge' operation was disabled --Or, at least, ineffective-- in this version. I was not prepared to 'flash' it to a brick...

So, I dug out my Sitecom WL-330 again. I moved this Browser PC's ethernet cable from router to extender, went through the menus: Set WPA2, disable DHCP, survey and select root ssid etc etc. Whatever order I did these, either I lost wwweb access or the extender would lock up and require ~30 secs press of the reset button to restore factory defaults...

Eventually, I replaced the PC's ethernet cable in the router, connected a patch lead from extender to the switching hub down-stream of router. I'd already checked that there was no contention between the Extender's 192.168.0.234 address and the rest of my odd system...

This time, there was no crash when I set the parameters. My old lap-top managed to connect to the extender via 'g'.

So, I unplugged the extender. Of course, that crashed everything but the SuperHub...

Back to drawing board...

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
tbennett300

Sorry haven't been watching for any updates to this and haven't had an email telling me you had posted...sorry.

I changed the speed down to 145 on the Superhub rather than the Sitecom device (think my original post might have given the idea I did it on the Sitecom).

On my sitecome I'm using the Universal Repeater mode on 2.4Ghz (N) with a WPAPSK (WPA2AES). Pretty much everything else is default I think. Hope that helps...

Please use plain text.