Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
wrg1405

Connecting wireless router to SuperHub

Good afternoon.

I recently had the SuperHub installed and it repalced my Wireless Netgear Dual band router.

Is there any way I can connect use my old router as a wireless router via the superhub. The signal strength in the conservatory is not to great (only 10 feet away in the living room) so I wondered if I put my old router in the conservatory and connected to that then the signal may be better. We do have a lot of wirelss devices that conntect to the superhub. 4 Iphones and a couple of laptops and Apple Airport Extreme (which keeps dropping out).

Any help would be greatley appreciated.

Bill

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: Connecting wireless router to SuperHub

possible best idea is is to enable modem mode on the superhub and re-use your netgear router.. for modem mode guide -> http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=412750&CURRENT...
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
wrg1405

paultechy. Thanks for your response. Sorry to burden you further but how would I then connect my Netgear Router (WNDR3400) to work thru the superhub if in fact I do. I assume that I would then use the Netgear router to broadcast wireless and connect thru that and therefore configure that and just keep the Hub plugged into the main computer in the house. 

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
h106frp

When th SH is in modem mode only the first wired network output operates to link to your new router. All of the connections (wired and wireless) must now come from the new router (WNDR3400) the SH is demoted to just translating the incoming signal on the co-axial cable to RJ45 your home network devices can use.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
wrg1405

Ok

I'm pretty sure I get it. Same set up as before then when I had just the modem?

The wireless router will have to be connected to the SH via ethernet and I then hard wire the new router to the main computer and other devices will connect wirelessly. Not sure that would help me. I was hoping to be able to connect another router to the SH to increase/boost wireless range/signal

Your time and input is much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
h106frp

Your connection scheme is correct. To boost wireless coverage you need an extender of some description. Various options exist - access points, bridges and repeaters depending what you want to achieve. 

Have a look at 'range extenders' in maplins for the simplest ones.

Try to avoid having multiple 'routers' as this can cause DHCP (network address) issues, any added boxes should refer the network management functions back to the primary router. Some routers can be configured as access points or bridges (the DHCP server function is disabled) so you might be able to re-cycle your old router, you will just need to look through its configuration settings 

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Jason_G

Hi wrg1405,

Are you still having problems at all?
Kind Regards,

Jason G.
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
wrg1405

Jason

hi, sorry I have not replied. I have not managed to sort it yet. Trying to find the best way to go around it and what equipment to use. We are due to be upgraded to super fast in the next couple of months so not sure whether to wait to see if that makes a difference. Also not wishing to burden members even more I have been trying to research "paultechy's" solution to see how it works as the router is in one room and week signal in the conservatory.

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Jason_G

Hi wrg1405,

Putting the hub into modem mode would disable the wireless side of the hub along with three of the four ethernet ports on the back. The hub would basically become just a modem, hence the name modem mode.

Plug your existing router into the port closest to the power cable, reboot the modem then the router. You should then be able to connect through your router to the internet.

The PC would connect either by cable or wirelessly to the router. It wouldn't be able to connect directly through the hub without disconnecting the router, connecting the PC into the same port and then rebooting the hub again.

Let us know how things go if you do try this, we'd be happy to help if you do continue to have problems.

Kind Regards,

Jason G.
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
TOXICFART

[ Edited ]

Hi all

I have just recieved my superDUD yesturday and boy is it **bleep** for wireless I mean whats the point in this superDUD having wireless if its no good.

anyway be checking everywhere for solutions but the only one seems to be put in modem mode and use a different router (how **bleep** is that) anyway I decided to put in a belkin N wireless router connected to the superDUD but decided not to put into modem mode IE so both superDUD and the belkin now are transmiting wireless.

what I want to know if this is ok to do my belkin router is transmitting the same signal strengh as before I had the superDUD so why do you need to put the superDUD in modem mode? thanks

ps: the superDUD loses wireless signal as soon as I leave the room lol

but my belkin I can go out into the garden and use so if belkin can make a good router why can;t VM via netgear

Please use plain text.