Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Making Waves
PaulR82

Connecting to a VPN via Virgin Media Wireless Router

Dear All,

I am hoping that someone maybe able to assist with this frustrating problem...

I am connected via a Virgin supplied wireless router (D-Link DIR-615). All internet and email functions seem to be working fine; however, the router will not allow me to connect to my work VPN.

The IT department at work say that this is a problem that Virgin have, not just with my organisation, but other organisations using VPN. They tell me the only way to resolve is to purchase a Belkin router.

I waited 3 weeks for the router in the first place (due to the Ash Cloud) during which time the PC was connected directly using an ethernet cable from the modem to the computer. The VPN connection worked fine when hard-wired, but now when wireless.

I dont want to have to hook up the ethernet connection everytime I want to log-on to work. The cable is about 10 metres long running from the modem in the living room to the study upstairs! and then my wife is unable to use her laptop wirelessly.

The problem is then obviously the router... any ideas?

With thanks,

Paul

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
DJ-Shadow

Re: Connecting to a VPN via Virgin Media Wireless Router

Hello

The only way I have managed to get the VPN (PPTP) to work is to flash the firmware of the VM router to either the standard or DD-WRT firmware.

Please note doing so is at your own risk, and also that if you have non VM standard Firmware on the router then VM will not support it.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
PaulR82

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your very prompt reply. I am not the most techie of people so excuse my ignorance when I ask what 'flashing' the firmware is?

Thanks,

Paul

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
DJ-Shadow

Hello

Paul Flashing the Firmware is like installing another OS on a PC, it can be done through the Admin pages if the router.

Mike

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
PaulR82

Hi Mike

I had a play with the settings in the admin and now it seems to be working!

Thanks very much!

Paul

Please use plain text.
VBA
Fresh as a Daisy
VBA

I recently purchased DIR 615 router from Virgin could connect perfectly to Internet but could not connect to office network using VPN like many others had no joy with Virgin Support.   Scoured many forums for similar problems and discovered there many users out there with same problem using the DIR 615 router.

Finally found a thread that worked for me involving flashing the router to dd-wrt firmware once completed I now have VPN access to my Office network.

Please be aware if you go this route you are overwriting the Virgin Firmware and probably invalidating warranty.

As I say this worked for me..............Here is the link

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/33663196-guide-dir-615-to-dd-wrt.html

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
PaulR82

Thanks very much for the response; this looks like sound advice and I want to give it a go (getting fed-up with trailing the ethernet cable all over the house!), but unfortunately I can't seem to access the two drop-box files?

Best regards,

Paul

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
HJBbradders

Hi,

I seem to be one of the growing number of Virgin users who have good email connection using a  Dlink DIR-615 router, but no vpn connection.  I can get vpn connection with a Netgear router.

I have down loaded the 2 Dlink files that I need to flash the router. I have also downloaded the User manual for the DIR-615.

When I read the manual, I find out that I have to configure the router, at its simplest, using the Setup Wizard. However, even that seems to be quite complicated: I need to enter MAC addresses, Static or Dynamic addresses, PPPoE or PPTP, L2TP, etc.   All very complicated.  If I just use the two downloaded files, can I forget about all the above? If I backup the current, pre-flashed router settings, can I import them into the flashed router to save me a lot of effort?

If, in the end, i have to buy a new router, which one would anyone suggest?

Thanks in advance for any info.

This is my first posting.

Percy

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
HJBbradders

Mike,

Could you have a look at the blog on Dlink routers? I have just posted a question and would be grateful for a comment from you.

Cheers

Percy

Please use plain text.