Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
David_Mc
Helpful Answer

Closed socket issue with Eve Retribution

I'm exploring possible explanations for a lost connection when playing Eve Retribution (www.eveonline.com) - message board debates (on Eve) appear split between whose fault this might be, i.e., the developers (CCP) or the ISP (in my case, VirginMedia). After logging onto the game for only a short time I get the following error message - "Connection Lost - The socket was closed". I do not get connection problems with any, and I do mean 'any', other application, game, browser etc. 

I don't know what a 'socket' is (the error message might as well be in Latin for how informative I find it) but it might mean something to someone out there.

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Mathew_W

Re: Closed socket issue with Eve Retribution

Hello David_Mc

I have not heard anything regarding this coming through to our technical teams. But from a search online I can see it would appear to be a issue caused by the last dominion patch. 

Kind Regards,

Mathew_W
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
hoppy2k13

ive also been getting socket closed a lot while playing EvE, im also getting lots of random lag and game disconnections when playing call of duty and a few other games

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
VMCopperUser

Submit a report at bugs.eveonline.com

Inferno added a few changes in the way connections were handled, they were done to improve server responce times and help stop DDOS and such.  Basically the server is a LOT less tolerant now of dropped (or highly delayed) packets.

Some ISP's tend to report worse drop rates than others, but keep in mind that the userbase on some ISP's is so large that it may skew the results.  Yours is far from the first report on these forums about VM and EvE.

In your bug report include a tracert to the server, and a ping of the server.

Include what OS your running, and what Firewall/Virus Scanner your using.

If you have a firewall box then also mention that (Most people just have a router, Hub, or SuperHub) but you may want to mention what your using there as well.

Most of these reports went away at the end of 2012 from the little bit I was watching.. Are you playing via wireless or wired?... If Wireless then I would suggest going wired and see if it makes a difference.

For reference,  I have (sad) 8 clients going at once sometimes and rarely suffer disconnection issues.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.

I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Read or Not ....
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
David_Mc

Thanks everyone for the comments - they are helpful and I'm reassured the problem seems to be with CCP. I've gone nearly the entire week without the problem then it just pings up today after the EVE reboot at 11.00.

There are some odd features about the problem though ..... I run two 64-bit devices - a laptop using Windows 7 mostly on Wi-Fi on my home network and a desktop running Windows 8 and hard-wired into the broadband. The frequency of the problem is greater (by about a factor of x4) on the desktop.

I've submitted quite a lengthy report to CCP (with ping data etc .... what a learning curve that was!) and wait to hear from them.

Again, thanks for spending some time on this.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
David_Mc

Mathew,

Thank you for your helpful remarks - the problem does seem to be horrendously complex and way above my comprehension. I have, however, posted another message today based on loss of data between me and CCP - I wonder if this might be contributing to the problem? 

Oh well, the search goes on. Maybe you or one of your colleagues might be able to express an expert view on the packet loss issue.

Regards,

David

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Peter_Li

Hello David_Mc,

Loss of data could of course be the reason(or at least a contributing factor) for the problem.

I would suggest to download something like wireshark and keep it running to the game server so that we can see where the packets are getting lost.

Peter L
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.