The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
ssft

Can I change my router's MAC address? If not, why not?

n/t

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
VMCopperUser

Re: Can I change my router's MAC address? If not, why not?

If it is a Stand-Alone router then Yes.

If it is a Hub then No

If it is a SuperHub then No - BUT you can put the SH in modem mode and attach a Router cgabgubg the MAC on it as much as you wish.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Please use plain text.
ssft

Sorry, yes I meant a Superhub. I could it without a problem on my Netgear router. I called up VM and complained about speed issues and they immediately offered me a new router (meaning a Superhub) for free, I knew at that point there must be a few catches.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

Hi

The SH has no requirement to change it's MAC address, in router mode it is only ever connected to it's own internal modem.

The only reason Stand alone routers had the ability to change MAC was to deal with issues where some ISP's would only allow one MAC address linked to an account for the lifetime of the account - (Never an issue with VM or Telewest before them).

Ravenstar68

I don't Work for Virgin, All ideas used at your own risk
To say thanks click on the Kudos star.
If a post has solved your problem, please mark as helpful answer.
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Adduxi

Any equipment connected to Virgin;s cable has to have a fixed MAC address, and it cannot be changed. It's done to stop people cloning illegal modems for use on the system.

If you need to change MAC addresses for whatever reason, you will need to supply your own router with this function.

SpeedKudos.jpg
Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
VMCopperUser

[ Edited ]

That's not really true in the way that it works.

You have several MAC's in play.

1) Modem MAC

2) WAN MAC

3) LAN MAC

4 ) WLAN MAC

They could make it so the "WAN MAC" could be changed, this should be really easy to do.

As you point out, the "Modem MAC" itself cant be changed because that provides connectivity.

Dont expect this change to happen, as most consumers should have no need to do this, It's an added level of firmware options that they probably want to avoid.

----
Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Dean_A_W

[ Edited ]

Hello ssft

I am sorry Adduxi is quite right. It is to stop illegal cloning. I can only apologise if this frustrates you but we do not provide this functionality within our network.

Kind regards,

Dean_A_W
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
VMCopperUser

Dean_A_W wrote:

Hello ssft

I am sorry Adduxi is quite right. It is to stop illegal cloning. I can only apologise if this frustrates you but we do not provide this functionality within our network.

I call BS on this one Dean.. Either that or you didnt read the question properly :smileytongue:..

The OP wants to change his IP.  If "Customer Cloning" was a problem then "Modem Mode" would present us with the same theft problems.  If the customer wants to change the MODEM MAC then yea, there's problems there, but even so with Signed keys tied to each MAC and duplicate MAC Registration checks running across the network then it shouldnt be possible to just clone a working MAC+SIG... If it is just that easy and you guys arent running MAC Duplicate checks on the new DS3 kit then I say shame on the design team.

The Customer wants the "Modem-Mode" Feature, but on the "Superhub in Router-Mode"...

----
Please use plain text.
ssft

I didn't really want to bump this, but I don't feel it has been answered.

The issue seems clear to me, VM don't want us using up their IP address allocation. I can't think of any other good reasons why they would prevent us from changing the MAC address? And no, it wouldn't prevent cloning. What a strange suggestion.

If enough of us sent in letters of complaint, do you think they would re-allow MAC changing?

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
SamKnows

If you get banned from a website or online service by IP address and you could simply change it then it would be a waste off time banning you. Yes services and proxies exist to get around this but that's not the point.

If you want to change the Mac assigned to the device like written on the bar code on the bottom of it that is used to identify equipment and assign level of service so yes it does stop cloning. if you could simply change it to the same as you neighbours you could pretend to be them online potentionally.

Is there a reason why you wish to change it? Maybe we can understand a bit more and maybe recommend a workaround or solution.

Please use plain text.