Settled in nicely II
HandH
Helpful Answer

Acer laptop connects to wireless network but not internet - help!

Hi everyone,

After months of this problem I have pretty much reached the end of the line and of my sanity!!

We have a Virgin Media wireless hub which says Netgear on the back.  The engineer who came out got my desktop PC working with it just fine but my partners laptop was at the repair shop so he couldn't get that connected and told us it was just a case of putting the codes from the back of the wireless hub in - ha ha!

Yesterday I spent 2 hours on the phone to Virgin's call centre in India who used remote access 4 times to try to set up the laptop with the wireless connection - the laptop is an Acer aspire one ZG5 notebook.

It now has an excellent strength connection to the wireless network but cannot connect to the internet unless the blue ethernet cable from the PC is attached to it.

At the end of the last phone call we were told that it is now up to us to contact the vendor of the computer to get an updated driver 'n version' and that this will result in full access with excellent connectivity thank you and goodbye!

So we still have no connection to the internet and my partner is going out to find places with free wi-fi to be able to work on the laptop whenever I need to be on the PC.

I have a reasonable level of technical knowledge but am now at my limit and am confused as to what to do so I am hoping someone can answer these questions.

When the remote access was being done I was watching the screen and Virgin media checked that the network adaptor was up to date and it said that it was - however Virgin then told us that we had to get an updated adapter!  The one that the laptop has appears to be the Atheros AR5007EG and despite many (many) hours of searching for the updated adapter I can't find one.  

When the laptop is connected via the blue ethernet cable from the Virgin wireless hub it is connecting through a LAN network on the laptop - this is where I get lost - is the LAN connection the same as the wireless one or a different one?  because when I look at the properties the LAN connection is different to the wireless connection - it appears to have an adaptor called the realtek pcie fe family controller lan connection.  

I know its a basic question but I really am stuck - at the bottom right had side of the laptop screen is one screen that says it is the wireless connection and then 2 screens which says it is the LAN connection - i thought that the blue ethernet cable should be connecting to the wireless connection not the LAN one or are they part of the same thing?

Anyway- when the blue ethernet cable is not connected to the laptop it can connect to the wireless network but not the internet - does anyone know what we can do or how we can get the updated adaptor and which one to get?

The other issue is that this laptop has always been able to connect to wi-fi in cafes, libraries etc and has never had an issue so why won't it connect via Virgin?

Any advice would be very gratefully received:-)

kind regards

Please use plain text.
Pro II
paultechy

Re: Acer laptop connects to wireless network but not internet - help!

a few ways one you can do the windows update - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless/Wireless-Issues-with-Virgin-Media-Hub-Vista/td-p/277179

or goto the acer website and download the updated driver - http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
HandH

Thanks for the reply - I forgot to mention that the laptop has windows xp on it.

My partner just got back from Costa Coffee where the laptop worked just fine with the wifi - it has now worked in every place in the UK, USA, Australia, France, Holland, and Germany - everywhere except with the Virgin wireless hub!

I will check the links you gave - but if anyone has any answers to my original posting I really would be grateful as I would like to understand a bit more,

best wishes

Please use plain text.
Pro II
paultechy

there should be updates on the acer site, but if that doesnt work you could do update via - http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=13&system=1

just out of interest to check the date of the driver if you do start --> right click my computer choose properties --> hardware -->device manager -> expand network adpaters double cick on the atheros and goto driver, what's the driver date?

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
HandH

Hi - thanks again for replying.  The driver date is 20 May 2008.  

However I have just been to the acer site and downloaded the latest driver which turned out to be the same one it already had! version 7.6.0.224

I also found out its a netbook AOA150 (not a notebook) 

Downloaded the driver just to be sure but it hasn't made any difference.

best wishes

Please use plain text.
Pro II
paultechy

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=22&system=1 if you click where it has click for download below - 64bit INF file (netathwx.inf) from Atheros driver version 9.2.0.104  [357 KB]

save it to a location you know where to find it, right click the file and choose extract here..

go back to the driver tab in the device manager do update driver, choose manual, tick the box for include location and use the browse option to goto that location. 

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
HandH

Hi - have been to the other link you gave at the cz site - your link was for the AR5006EG for XP - so I went to the download for 5007EG- it appeared to download and to then extract the files but none of them do anything - have opened the documents individually and still nothing.

I hate to keep asking this question but why does this computer connect to every single wireless connection it has ever been on with no problem including earlier today - but it won't connect to the internet through the Virgin network?

Clearly it does have network adapters that are updated enough to work everywhere else.  I am confused - and very tired after weeks of trying to sort this out and over 12 hours in the last 24.

Please use plain text.
A regular II
Stantz

[ Edited ]

Have you tried to steps in device manager mentioned above by Paultechy as the individual files will do nothing if you just double click them.

You'll probably find that any network you have connected to before will be a slightly older network with either WEP or WPA security but the VM Hub has WPA/WPA2 enabled by default and it's this newer form of security thats thripping up your older driver.

Death is but a door, time is but a window, I'll be back.
Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
HandH

Hi - have been through the steps described and it does appear to have installed the driver from the site you gave.

However the wireless connection to the Virgin media network has now vanished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We now have a new local area connection 3 which has the atheros adaptor but is disabled and it won't enable - it just says connection failed.

I think I may have to walk into another room for a while before I do something drastic with an axe!

Please use plain text.
Pro II
paultechy

has the driver date changed? when you re-check in the driver tab. when you take the machine into the same room as the hub does the connection appear.. you might need to lower the wireless mode.

if you do a wired connection goto http://192.168.0.1 username admin password changeme click on wireless settings top left choose 145mpbs and apply. 

Please use plain text.