Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
astleham
Helpful Answer

How do I change Virgin page to my home page?

I have written some web pages to upload to my Virgin Webspace.

These can be viewed on my computer with Firefox, Safari, Google Chome and Internet Explorer fine.

I am using FileZilla, and all appears to be working OK. The files queue and upload.

How ever, all I can see if I log into my webspace is the Virgin Welcome Page.

Also, this web page does not show the Virgin Banner.

Virgin web page

Can you help me? Please

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Clivey

Re: How do I change Virgin page to my home page?

[ Edited ]

Did you create your own index.html file? If not, I would suggest doing so.

The one on the server could still be the default one, hence why you cant see your pages and you see the default mjessage. Ideally your index.html should be the main page, so it maybe just a case of renaming one of the files you have already created.

Or put this in a text file and rename it to index.html and upload to the server. If you can see the below, then its the index.html that needs replacing.

<html>
<head>
<title>Can you see me</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>Welcome to your website astleham</h1>
<p>If you can see this, then your issue is to do with your index.html file.
</p>
<p>Your main page should be called index.html and upload that to the server, overwriting the one that is there.</p>
</body>
</html>

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
astleham

Thank you. I will give it a go. Kate x

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
astleham

Hi Clivey

I sent up the text file, using Notepad, and renamed it index.html

I can open the file using say Google Chrome, and the shows correctly, Welcome to your website astleham and so on

However, after uploading the file to FileZilla then going into my web address, I still have the same old Virgin page.

Am I missing something?

Kind regards

Kate x

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
astleham

The index.html file has not worked, although it works if I look at the file through Firefox, Safari, Goggle Chrome and Internet Explorer.

However, if I look in FileZilla, and go to uploaded files, as showing on the right-hand side, then right click and view the file, the correct file, the one you sent to me, is showing in FileZilla.

Any ideas

Astleham x

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Clivey

[ Edited ]

Hi

You need to empty your browser cache, as when I go to your site, I see this. You have a little issue with your images, but the new page is there.

v.jpg

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Clivey

[ Edited ]

I've also just realised what you are trying to do. Please forgive me as I dont want to come across the wrong way, but what you are doing with your pictures is not the best and most presentable method. As your on VirginMedia webspace you have a little more power to use php (even though its an old version on virgin).

So that means you can be a little more fancy than basic html pages.

Have a look at this quick demo I just put on my webspace, so you can see an easier way of doing it.-> My Site

Dont worry, I'm not a stalker, just a friendly person trying to help! :smileyvery-happy:

If you like it then:

Try this - <Click for the zip file. Just upload it all to your root of your server (in htdocs), rename your index.html to index.old

Then right click the files you uploaded and change the CHMOD to 555 for them all (this poeple can only read the files ie view the pictures). If you then goto into the photos folder, you can see folders I've created Cras, games etc. In each folder are the images are detected automatically, so if you want to add an image, just upload it into a folder with photos. Also within each folder like 'Games', if you place an image file called folder.jpg, that immediately becomes a thumnail for the folder (resolution 120x120). Also have a look at the captions.txt file in some of these photo folders, that where the titles for each image is taken from.

Have a look, you'll get the idea.

Let me know if you have any issues. I'll reset my site in 3 days time, to give you time to have a look.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
astleham

Thank you for your help. I am grateful, so please do not even consider you are imposing.

I will have a look, and go at this.

Kind regards

Astleham x

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
astleham

:smileyvery-happy: Deleting all the temporary internet files has worked, and I can now see my page. Thanks so much. I always thought my temporary internet files deleted automatically.

Astleham x

Please use plain text.