Menu
andrewwoodward
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

youtube app removal

Is it true that virgin have parental controls on everthing on the tivo box apart from the youtube app. And after talking to them they refuse to remove it. Which means i cannot leave my kids alone with the tv.when i signed up i thought this was a company that was intrested in my childs safe keeping.

Helpful Answers
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: youtube app removal

You can lock youtube so your kids cant use it

0 Kudos

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can lock youtube so your kids cant use it

0 Kudos
andrewwoodward
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin have said i can not fully lock the kids out of you tube. If you use thr youtube app you can very easily sign out of any account you have created with parental restrictions and use it without. Could you let me know if this is not true and how to do it please
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi andrewwoodward,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, there in no way to fully lock the YouTube app. You can hide the YouTube channel in the Parental Controls but will still be able to access the app through Apps and Games.

You can restrict content within the YouTube app by opening the app, selecting Settings and then scroll across to Restricted mode.

All the best Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Iandavidcarter
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh
Is there a way to lock the app altogether? I.e. Has it changed in the last few months... 🤞My son gets up very early and puts it on, the only way I can stop him putting it on is by pulling the plug before going to bed which isn't practical.
Ian
0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to back you up on this....my kids are all over YouTube and it wasn't until my eldest (aged 7) wouldn't show me something he was watching I started to get concerned. Managed to see his viewing history and it was basically a recording of someone playing an adult game. Nothing too bad but not want I want my son watching so I deleted the app and installed YouTube for kids instead which from what I can tell stops anything like that content.
So I'm sure it not be long until 1 of my boys finds out there is a totally open YouTube app on the tv and not confined the kiddy app I have made them use.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Iandavidcarter,

I'm really sorry but there's currently no way of blocking the YouTube app (although this has been fed back to our development team).

You can, however, enable Restricted Mode which filters out certain age-appropriate content. To do this, open the YouTube app and select Settings on the left of the screen. Then, scroll across to Restricted Mode and select.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Chortleman
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It really isn't Virgin Media's responsibility what your children watch on TV;  Virgin's responsibility is to provide a TV, phone, and broadband service.  There's loads of stuff out there on TV that is not suitable for children, not only on YouTube.  What you allow your children to watch is up to you, so control your kids and stop expecting someone else to do it for you.  If any of my lot turned the TV on without first asking permission they'd be grounded for a month.

NoPINonYouTube
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I feel duped and conned that I was getting full parental control when I signed up to the service, and I'm not with respect to YouTube through TIVO. I've made official complaints and got nowhere. So I will simply take my custom elsewhere. VirginMedia have really messed up with this one. Unacceptable.

0 Kudos