Menu
Fantasm1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

would a choice of programmes to suit us would be far better than the choices you give us in our package

I am slightly agrieved that I am unable to delete channels from my package. I personally would love to be able to do this and have the choice.

The reason?

I do not want to have any connection with the BBC propaganda machine. If I could delete all these channels along with BBC Radio channels then naturally I would not have to pay for a TV licence.

Instead I am forced to pay for a licence that I do not require, as I do not watch or listen to this awful broadcasting company.

0 Kudos
PeteH
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: would a choice of programmes to suit us would be far better than the choices you give us in our packa

I have the same but different problem. How much could I save by cancelling all Murdoch/Sky channels with the minor exception of Arts, which has degraded recently to pop with serious arts in the midnight hours.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: would a choice of programmes to suit us would be far better than the choices you give us in our packa

You misunderstand.

You require a TV licence in the UK to watch any broadcast TV.

PeteH
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Only free to air are included in the licence Sky is not free

Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

PeteH wrote:

Only free to air are included in the licence Sky is not free

But you still need a TV licence to watch it, as well as a subscription.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A Licence is required if you watch live TV channel via any means (Aerial, Satellite, Cable, Mobile Phone etc), plus use of OD content on BBC iPlayer. BBC channels are also prescribed Public Service channels that must be available unencrypted on all TV platforms under OFCOM's rules.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Fantasm1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, you are wrong.

The TV Licences only benefit the BBC. It is "NOT" a receivers licence!!!

The TV licence inspectors that come to your door are a private company hired by the BBC to collect licence fees for them. If they were working for the government they would be called officers and would have the right to enter your property. They do not have that right.

You are quite within your rights to not answer any questions they throw at you to trick you into saying something that can be misinterpreted,. they always wear a camera to tape anything you say. All you need to tell them is "I take away your licence to visit my door. If you continue to visit me I shall call the police and have you charged under the new harrassment laws 2015".

Providing they cannot see what you are watching on your TV through your window, they do not have a leg to stand on.

Their TV vans are a con and always have been. I do not watch and BBC programmes or listen to their radio programmes as they have become a propaganda machine for the conservative government. Therefore I do NOT have to pay a TV licence.

The rest of the world can view the BBC "for free" if they choose to do so.

I want the choice of a package that excludes the BBC. If Virgin Media allowed this, they would sweep up the majority of the market share as providers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Fantasm1 wrote:

Sorry, you are wrong.

The TV Licences only benefit the BBC. It is "NOT" a receivers licence!!!

https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence

You must have a TV Licence if you:

• watch or record programmes on a TV, computer or other device as they’re broadcast
  • download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand

For live TV in the UK there is no distinction between watching the BBC or any other live TV broadcast. If it's broadcast live and you're watching it, you need to have a TV Licence.

So even if Virgin Media offered a package without the BBC channels, it wouldn't stop the need for a TV Licence.

If you don't agree with this, then you'd need to talk to your local MP, as it's government that sets the TV Licence rules.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You post a very long (BUT WRONG) list of nonsense
0 Kudos