Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: why are there no subtitles on some tv channels such as history

Hi murphy777,

Thanks for coming by and I'll be happy to help answer your query.

The subtitles content is passed onto us by the content provider of that channel.  If the guide shows the subtitles symbol (S) and they subtitles don't show then it's worth checking the settings via:

HOME > HELP & SETTINGS > SETTINGS > DISPLAY AND SUBTITLES > SUBTITLES > CHOOSE RELEVANT OPTION.

If the subtitles feature is turned on and the guide shows that subtitles is supported for that programme then a reboot to refresh may resolve this.  If after all that the subtitles still aren't working then give us a shout and we can check this out for you.

Should you find that a programme you are watching has the (S) in the guide indicating subtitles is supported for the programme but isn't working try the above steps and get in touch if you need any further assistance Smiley Happy

I hope this helps.  If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Over 70% of programmes now have subtitling, as there is a requirement in the OFCOM licence that the channels have to obtain to get on UK TV platforms. However, the requirement does not stipulate how much content non PSB channels should provide, so the percentage of programmes available with subtitles on these channels tends to vary.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi murphy777,

Thanks for coming by and I'll be happy to help answer your query.

The subtitles content is passed onto us by the content provider of that channel.  If the guide shows the subtitles symbol (S) and they subtitles don't show then it's worth checking the settings via:

HOME > HELP & SETTINGS > SETTINGS > DISPLAY AND SUBTITLES > SUBTITLES > CHOOSE RELEVANT OPTION.

If the subtitles feature is turned on and the guide shows that subtitles is supported for that programme then a reboot to refresh may resolve this.  If after all that the subtitles still aren't working then give us a shout and we can check this out for you.

Should you find that a programme you are watching has the (S) in the guide indicating subtitles is supported for the programme but isn't working try the above steps and get in touch if you need any further assistance Smiley Happy

I hope this helps.  If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

murphy777
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Collette, 

I just wanted to know why some channels don't show the (S) and don't have subtitles, I would have thought that all shows would have subtitles by now

Partick

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Over 70% of programmes now have subtitling, as there is a requirement in the OFCOM licence that the channels have to obtain to get on UK TV platforms. However, the requirement does not stipulate how much content non PSB channels should provide, so the percentage of programmes available with subtitles on these channels tends to vary.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

murphy777
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you

0 Kudos