Menu
gavcav
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

tv cable isolator installation

hope someone can help me please?...i need to move one of my tv boxes. my question is does each separate line to a tv box require an isolator?...for ease of installation i'd like to install a splitter just after an isolator to supply 2 tv's. is this ok or do i need put in a splitter and then an isolator on each separate supply to the 2 tv boxes? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: tv cable isolator installation

Surely its a moot point?

If you are having 2 TiVo's installed (which is the only simple way to get VM service on both TV's) , VM will install a splitter and cabling for them.

If you are NOT having more than one TiVo, and you want the signal from a single one to two TV's, you need to extend/split the HDMI cabling, not the coax.

If you already have both TiVo's and want to relocate one, if you phone in they will supply you the correct splitter and cable. Or you can elect to have them come put in a new point, but that ll cost 99 quid.

0 Kudos
gavcav
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

no, sorry i cannot have explained myself correctly..one supply is to a tivo and the other is a hd box..it was originally upstairs but i want to locate it in the study instead.

the cable for the lounge tv goes under the study floor, so i just thought of fitting a splitter on the cable and feed the tv in the study?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Your getting into "pay to get it moved" territory there.

Your not dealing with standard coax/RF distribution, VM coax is a different spec. Cutting and extending cables, or adding another substantive length on, may either introduce noise to your, or your local, circuit. Nothing before your box is your property, your potentially damaging VM's proerty (network cabling) so may wind up liable for any issues you do cause.

If your competent with electrical wiring, can crimp high spec coax connectors okay  and are confident with what your doing, a search of major online shopping sites usually turns up appropriate parts. Remember that if your current VHD point is still live after you've tinkered (which I assume it will be if your adding a splitter) you need the correct end termination cap as well.

0 Kudos
gavcav
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

the thing is, i've already got the cable that was made up by the virgin engineer when they did the initial install, plus spare splitter and isolators and caps which they kindly left me as i explained i may move it later on and just incase i needed spares (i've already removed the VHD box and blanked the cable off with one of the caps.)

everything is after the box,so it's just a matter of connecting them together...just need to know if i need separate isolators on the lines coming off the splitter..i asked at the time but can't remember what he said?

and yes, i'm fine with soldering, splicing, terminating, crimping etc. just not too familiar with networking protocol etc. and i like to do it correctly.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The one problem with engineers leaving cable & splitters for people to install later is that this is cannot be allowed for when the signal levels are balanced at installation. When the additional cable etc is then added by the customer, all the levels drop & things can stop working as they should, with the inevitable fault callouts following.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
gavcav
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

so if i contact VM and ask for an engineer to come out, there's going to be a call out charge i guess?

0 Kudos