Menu
simontowers52
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

transfer from sky to virgin vip package

Hi

I'm new on here and have just signed up to transfer from Sky to the virgin vip package but after 18 years with sky and having just seen some negative stuff on here about virgin am wondering if I've done the right thing. I have a few specific queries :-

1. Cant find much info on the new V6 box - is there any feedback out there on it? if you've got it do you like it?

2. I currently have 2 sky boxes and each box feeds 2 TV's in separate rooms ( obviously can only watch the same programme at a time on any pair of TV's). Virgin sales told me this can be done with Virgin too but have seen some comment on here that casts doubt on that. Can anyone clarify please?

3. I have asked to keep my current landline number when the phones are switched over but cant get a clear answer as to what I'm supposed to do re my Sky cancellation. At present I've arranged for my Sky cancellation date to be a week after my Virgin install date so if anything goes wrong I have cover. Does anyone know if I've done the right thing or not?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: transfer from sky to virgin vip package

1. Its really fast, you will like it

2. You cannot do this easily or cheaply, the v6 has no scart or analogue out

3.Yes you have, you have covered yourself if there is an issue

0 Kudos
simontowers52
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks jb66

regards one box feeding to 2 TV's, when you say its expensive to do can you advise what needs to be done to make it happen?

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ive not done it, but for each box you would need to buy a HDMI splitter to make one signal into 2, and they would have to be hdcp2.2 compliant for 4k

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Display-Supports/dp/B01NA6FVBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

Then you either would have to run a HDMI cable to the other Tvs, If thats not possible and you want to use the existing coax cable you would have to convert the hdmi signal to analogue

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KBQZC4M/ref=twister_B00V4FYD8U?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Then you would have to convert that signal to RF

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-350-111-12V-250mA-Modulator/dp/B000M6SMKW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&...

There is an all in one device but no matter what you do its a faff and not worth it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technomate-TM-RF-HD-HDMI-Modulator/dp/B01HOZKVFW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&i...
0 Kudos
simontowers52
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

hello JB66, thank you so much for explaining that, need to think now whether to stay with Sky or not as I really want tv in those other 2 rooms

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

simontowers52 wrote:

3. I have asked to keep my current landline number when the phones are switched over but cant get a clear answer as to what I'm supposed to do re my Sky cancellation. At present I've arranged for my Sky cancellation date to be a week after my Virgin install date so if anything goes wrong I have cover. Does anyone know if I've done the right thing or not?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

If you are transferring your landline number to Virgin DO NOT cancel the landline part of your contract with Sky. If you put a cancellation in (albeit for a future date) it will block your number from being ported & you are at risk of losing it.

Virgin will issue you with a temporary number while the port takes place, as Virgin do not use BT exchanges & your number then has to divert to the local cable headend for the inbound traffic to reach you.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
simontowers52
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the info nodrogd

0 Kudos
jonathanpye
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I have been a cable customer for about 16 years now. 

I am on the VIP package and recently upgraded to two V6 boxes and they are really good compared to the old TIVO. Not sure if they are as good as Sky Q but I am happy with them.; Fast, Wifi connected to allow each box to access recordings on the other box, RF controller so no more line of sight IR issues, allow streaming to mobile devices on home network of recorded content and content download were copyright permits it.

In regard watching 2 Tv's on same box, why not see what the additional cost of a 3rd V6 box ( max allowed ) would be from a multi room perspective as I think this would be a small increase in monthly cost for additional multi room beyond the included 2 boxes and then you only have to think about splitting HDMI on 1 box to cater for the 4 Tv's plus you get the daisy chain affect of additional storage ( 1 TB per box so total 3 TB of storage ). It shouldn't be to difficult to split the output though just correct connectors as per the other reply.

The VIP I think is currently £85 for new customers and then goes up after 12 months.

I looked at sky Q and for the programs I watch including BT sport and the BB speed of 200mb and the all inclusive calls I couldn't get the similar sky Q package as cheaply.

You should be able to keep your number, I did when transferring from BT all those years ago.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

jonathanpye wrote:

I am on the VIP package and recently upgraded to two V6 boxes and they are really good compared to the old TIVO. Not sure if they are as good as Sky Q but I am happy with them.; Fast, Wifi connected to allow each box to access recordings on the other box, RF controller so no more line of sight IR issues, allow streaming to mobile devices on home network of recorded content and content download were copyright permits it.

I currently have SkyQ due to an exceptionally good offer, but I would say that other than for speed it's nothing like as good as the TiVo, so as the V6 solves the speed issue it sounds like it's the far superior box.

A few issues with SkyQ:

1) Series links are forgotten when a series ends (so you have to keep checking listings and set them up again when the new series starts)

2) No wishlists (or suggestions, if those are of interest)

3) No skip-back when fast-forwarding (so always loads of shuffling back and forward after skipping adverts)

4) No automatic rescheduling of recording clashes

5) The app can't display the list of recordings and planned recordings on the box (which I used to find really useful)

6) No Netflix and none of the integration of OnDemand content that you get through Series Link + etc.