Menu
davidpreston123
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

the broadband speed on my iPad mini is very slow compared to my mac book air

the speed of the internet on my iPad is a lot slower than my MacBook Air - same virgin media service, sitting on the same couch and both on wireless... Yes I've shut all unnecessary apps, restarted the iPad and cleared the browser history. I get 150mb on the MacBook but only 30mb on the iPad... any thoughts?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: the broadband speed on my iPad mini is very slow compared to my mac book air

Not all wireless receivers are equal, I would expect there to be a better receiver in the Macbook than the iPad mini.

Is the ipad mini connected to the 5Ghz frequency or 2.4Ghz?

This review of the iPad mini shows that on 2.4Ghz then around 41Mps is what you can expect, on 5Ghz it should be around 70-90Mbs:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/10

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: the broadband speed on my iPad mini is very slow compared to my mac book air

Not all wireless receivers are equal, I would expect there to be a better receiver in the Macbook than the iPad mini.

Is the ipad mini connected to the 5Ghz frequency or 2.4Ghz?

This review of the iPad mini shows that on 2.4Ghz then around 41Mps is what you can expect, on 5Ghz it should be around 70-90Mbs:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/10

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

davidpreston123
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It is in the 5 Ghz... Just tested it and got 18 Mb/s... Which in old days would be great but when I'm paying for 150 Mb/s service it's disappointing 

david 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

davidpreston123 wrote:

It is in the 5 Ghz... Just tested it and got 18 Mb/s... Which in old days would be great but when I'm paying for 150 Mb/s service it's disappointing 

david 

If the Macbook can get 150Mbps then you are getting what you pay for.  Are you able to test the mini on any other wireless connection (e.g work, friends, family) to see what speeds it can get elsewhere?  Is the mini in a case that could be blocking the wireless antenna?

Based on what you have said everything points to an issue with the mini, not your VM connection.  If there was a problem with your connection or the hub then the Macbook wouldn't get 150Mbps.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What version of iOS is the mini running? I have just Googled "ipad mini slow wifi" and got a link suggesting that iOS 8 had some Wifi issues that were fixed in later versions and there are also links for improving WiFi if you are on iOS 9.

0 Kudos
OldMuggins
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Quite right Scott. The 5Ghz is the correct option for an iPad. I can get just over 50Mbps on my iPad via the 5Ghz option but only about 19Mbps with 2.4Ghz.

0 Kudos